Chapter Nine: Answers

Chapter Nine

I wake up hearing the monitors steady beep next to me.

I sit up and lean on the pillows behind me, looking around the room.

A nurse sees me awake and walks over.

"Good morning." she says in a sweet voice. "My name is Amanda. I'm your new nurse."

"Mines Bryn." I say, noticing I have an oxygen mask on.

"Yes... So, I guess you're wondering what happened, right?" she asks. She looks almost too young to be working here. Maybe 20.

"Yeah. What happened?" I respond.

"Well, your argument with... Leanne?" she raises her eyebrows and I nod. "Leanne, made your blood pressure rise really fast. Your heart is still adjusting from surgery." Amanda explained.

"So that's why I blacked out." I say. "Cause my heart is... weak?"

"Not weak, adjusting to working after anesthesia." She corrected me. "Your new doctor will be in here shortly to talk with you."

"Okay." I say,"Can I take this off?" I point to the mask.

"Not yet. Wait for the doctor to give the okay?" Amanda says.

"Got it."

She leaves the room. As I look around, I see it is not the same one I was in before. I wave to Amanda.

She rushes towards me, thinking I'm in distress.

"Bryn, what's wrong?" she says, checking my vitals.

Why was she so alarmed? I just fainted.

"Nothing. I just needed to ask you something." I shrug. Relief floods her face.

She nods.

"Why was I transferred rooms and doctors?" I question her.

She sighs. "The doctor will explain." She looks down the hall and her eyes brighten. "Here he comes now."

I look over and see a man walk through the door. More like hobble. He has crutches and a cast on his leg.

I know this man. He has brown-blonde hair, crystal blue eyes, and is the one who kept me company through all of Leanne's up and downs.

My father.

He's a cardiotherastic surgeon... (Heart doctor). Why do I need a cardiotherastic surgeon on my case?

"Hi, princess." he says.

"Hi, daddy." I say, smiling,"Why am I in here exactly?" Gesturing to my new room.

"Okay, now I'm gonna have to talk like a doctor." I nod. "Your heart is taking a bit longer than expected adjusting after it stopped beating." Tears are forming I his eyes, but he blinks them away.

"How much longer?" I say, staying strong for my dad.

"Quite longer, actually." He looks down. "Your heart is having trouble sending oxygen, which is why you blacked out and have that mask on."

After a few moments, I speak up. "Am I going to be alright?"

"Yes, honey." He walks over to my bed and sits down. "We just have to wait until your oxygen levels are back to normal."

He's shifting gears back to 'dad mode'.

Tears start to form in his eyes. "I am so sorry, Bryn. It's all my fault." He sobs into his hands.

I reach for his hands and pry them from his face, his eyes swollen and puffy.

"Daddy, it's not your fault." I look straight into his eyes. "It's none of ours. It's his. That ass."

He nods, but obviously doesn't believe me. I hope he doesn't drop out of the case over this.

"Dad, this isn't changing your mind-" I gulp,"-about keeping me... is it?"

"No!" he says, shaking his head vigorously, "Absolutely not."

He smiles slightly and gives me a hug. A bit hard, since the oxygen wire is tugging at the mask.

We finally manage to hug.

I mumble into his shirt,"How's Piper? Where is she?"

"She's at Bella's tonight. And, she's holding in there. She'll be over here tomorrow morning." He replies.

"Okay." I have to ask. "And Leanne?"

"She's home. I don't talk to her much, but she's hard to ignore. Always saying how I should give up on the case, and that it's a miracle if I win. Peer pressure sucks." He sighs. "Don't worry. We'll win."

I hope he's right.

**********

Authors Note

Hi everyone! The story will pick up next chapter, just stay tuned!!

If you have any questions it suggestions, just comment.

Roni