Chapter Six: An Interesting Night

Chapter Six

Dad and I ride in the silver Porsche, while my mom and Piper ride in the Red Prius V. Piper's going to a slumber party at her friend Bella's.

"So... How's adjusting to all this?" Dad asks me.

"It's okay. I mean, I know that you are trying to do what's best for all of us." I reply.

"And I promise you, what's best is for you and Piper to stay at home, with me" I see his eyes are big and glassy after saying this, but he's still watching the road.

We ride in silence the rest of the way, not saying anything.

I check my Instagram only to find out my friends, Avery and Cathy, made TONS of Flipagrams of me, all wishing a sweet 16.

As we pull into Mikimotos, I see my mom pull in. Piper is crying in the front seat, tears pouring down her eyes. My moms face is a dark red.

I run up to the car, not caring about anything.

"Piper!" I shout.

She looks up at me and hops out of the car. She first walks, then speeds up, and then fully sprints over to me. I engulf her in a hug.

"Oh my gosh... Piper, what happened?" I say, tears now forming in my own eyes.

"She-she... She..." Piper tries to say in-between sobs.

"It's okay, honey" I coo into her ear. "We can talk about it at home. Not here, calm down... Okay?"

"Okay." she replies. She gives a sniffle and wipes her eyes.

"Let's go home." I say. "Do you want to ride with me, or Leanne?"

Leanne is my moms first name. I only use it when I'm really mad at her.

"I'll go with mommy. It's okay. On the way home, I'll call Bella and say I'm not coming over." She says, tears in her eyes again.

Dad walks up to me.

"What was that about?" he says, raising his eyebrows questioningly.

I look away from his gaze, but he steers his head around to look me right in the eyes.

"Bryn... Your mom is a big threat I this case. You don't realize... Your mom can manipulate whatever you and I, even Piper, says to make it seem like she's the fit parent. Let's go." He says, nodding towards the Porsche.

I heave a sigh and head towards the car.

But I still don't understand...

She can't change what I say...

Can she?

We are in the highway now, heading home.

"Why is mom such a big threat? I mean, she's a good lawyer and all, but she can't manipulate what I say and use it against you. Can she?" I question.

He gives a big sigh and continues.

"Because, Bryn, she's a very well known lawyer and has good credits. She's a threat because-"

*******

There is a bang...

Then nothing.

*******

Authors Note

My chapters are getting better (I hope) and there will be more action and... DRAMA!

STAY TUNED!!!!

Roni