Chapter Three

Chapter Three

When my dad tilted the box on its side, I didn't know what I was expecting, but certainly not this.

By my expression, you would think it was a 5-karat diamond ring with a solid gold band, or a solid gold toilet, for Pete's sake. But what I see, is a basketball sized ball of fur running towards me. A pink bow perfectly tied to her neck.

She runs up to me and I get on my knees. On her way over, she falls over the enormous bow. Once she reaches me, she jumps up and down, longing for me to pick her up. I do and give her a big hug as she licks my face with her tiny tongue.

My parents always said no to a dog. This really was a surprise.

"Happy Birthday, Princess!" my dad says again. "You've always wanted a dog so... your mom and I talked about it and said you were old enough." He scratched his head awkwardly, not knowing what else to say. I get that from him.

"I love her!" I said, tears forming in my eyes.

I look over at my mom, standing next to me. Her light brown hair pulled back in a tight bun and dressy suit leads me to believe she's heading to work. Great.

"Are you going to work, Mommy?" Piper asks,"I thought you were gonna stay for her birthday!" Her voice becoming panicked.

She thought mom would stay for this? Please. She couldn't even stay for-

"I have to go, honey. I looovve you!" she said, giving Piper a tight hug. "I'll be back for dinner and we can go wherever you want" she said, addressing me.

"Okay mom" I reply with no expression. "Let's just be back before 9. I have to study for an exam."

"Oh, look at my big girl, being responsible" she says. I'm taken aback by this a bit. Did she think I wasn't responsible?"Whatever you want. Well-" she sighs,"I'm gonna be late as it is so I got to go."

I walk her to the door, her 4-inch heels clacking on the marble, me still holding the little peanut. Wait... Peanut. That'll be her name.

"I love you, Happy Birthday, Bryn" she says and gives me an even bigger hug, but mindful of Peanut.

"I love you" I say into her suit. Taking in the smells as if I will never smell them again. Coco Channel Madamoiselle perfume.

She pulls away and walks to the grand white door. She opens the door as I say "Goodbye", but she doesn't hear me.

I hear her car start and I watch head down the circular driveway, then out the metal gates.

She has no problem leaving. It's the coming back that's not so good...

I should know. It's happened before.

I walk up to my room with Peanut still in my arms and I set her down on my bed.

I make sure that no ones looking, then from under my matress, I pull out a pink diary with a lock on it.

Then, I walk over to my vanity and on the right side, second drawer down, I pick up my Urban Decay Naked 1 pallet and under is a gold key.

I sit down in my teal sphere chair across my room, heave a deep breath, and start writing.

*******

Dear Diary:

So, I've decided. I'm ready to talk about it...

My mom leaving us.

********

Thank you for reading the 3rd chapter!!! It was shorter, but the next will be really in-depth. I promise ^again^. If there are any suggestions for anything, just comment :)

Roni