ᶰᶤᶰᵉᵗᵉᵉᶰ

Start from the beginning

"I'm just desperate," she wailed, "I don't know what to do. I feel so damn lost I'm disgusted with myself."

"Don't." Brooklyn stepped back and looked at her high school best friend, "will you be okay if I leave you by yourself for a while? I'm going to go make a call."

Jessica sniffed, leaning back, "of course. I should..go wash up. I probably look horrible," she smiled sadly and got up, going to the washroom.

Looking after Jessica walk off, Brooklyn felt a pang of sadness and sympathy. She pulled out her phone and dialed Asher's number again.

Two times today, she had called Asher to ask for something. Both times probably for something that he doesn't like, but would let it slide just for her. If she kept doing this it could become her occupation.

"What do you need this time," Asher asked straight away upon picking up his phone. "And don't lie or sugarcoat it for me, I had enough of that the first time you called."

"Ugh," Brooklyn grunted, "hello to you too. I thought you were better than to forget your greetings."

"I don't usually. Just for those who I know want something from me."

"What gave it away," she asked bluntly.

She couldn't see it, but she could tell that he just rolled his eyes. "The fact that you called, for one. You've never called me before. But I wanted to give you some credit so I listened to what you wanted to say just now. Turns out, I should've expected it."

"Fine. So I want something."

"I know, but what I don't know is what it is," he asked, uninterested.

Brooklyn relayed the story Jessica told her and he listened without interrupting. He had questions to ask, but he didn't say it, he only talked when she was done telling him the story.

"So let me get this straight; you have a friend that you haven't met in ages, she got tossed to the streets, needs a place to crash, and you're asking me if she can stay at my place."

"Yeah, that's pretty much it. Although...she's my best friend? You forgot that."

"Whatever," he said breezily. "Anyway, back to topic, why my place. I mean, surely she has relatives hiding somewhere, friends, grandparents? There's no way her grandparents wouldn't take her in. They always love their grandchildren the most."

"Didn't you hear a word I said," Brooklyn groaned, "her dad kicked her out."

"And she still has a mom. Where is she anyway! If she has protective parents like you told me, they wouldn't just throw their daughter out when she has no one to turn to. There must be someone."

"She called her friends, quote, 'fake piece of shits', and her grandparents already passed. Please, she has no one, Ash. Besides, you have so many rooms it's not like you can use them."

"Don't use the size of my house against me, Brooklyn," he warned.

"Mansion," she said, exasperated, "Why do I always have to correct you."

"Whatever." Asher grunted. "Babe, think about it. You haven't saw each other for what, three, four years? And she suddenly wants to reconcile. As if that's not odd enough, she goes to ask you - right on the day you meet up, no less - and asked you for a place to stay."

"She's a person in need, Asher, don't think too much." Brooklyn was getting anxious now, she was close to pulling her hair out.

"I'm just saying, things don't add up. You don't just ask a person you haven't met in forever for a place to stay. People change, Brooklyn, and a person can change a lot in a span of a few years, you can't trust someone you don't know anymore."

"Stop it," she said defensively. "You don't know what you're talking about, okay? You don't know her, so please, stop talking like you do."

"Fine. I don't know her, so why don't you tell me so that I would. Maybe it will give me some motivation to do something that is clearly wrong and stupid."

"I'm done. If you don't want to take her in, then I'm leaving. I'll go back to my house and she can stay with me. She'll be out of your hair and solely my problem. Wouldn't you like that."

"Don't you fucking dare, Brooklyn," he growled, "don't you fucking dare go back to that house," she can hear him pacing in his office in the background. "Fine, alright? You win. She stays, and you stay."

Just what she wanted to hear.

If you something from someone, hit on their weak spot. Even if they can sustain for a period of time, sooner or later they will crash and burn, and that's when things will fall into place.

Her switch flipped because she smiled. "Really," Brooklyn brightened up, smiling as glaring as the sun, and her voice going up in a excited pitch, "Yes! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll make it up to you tonight, I promise."

"You better. Because I plan to punish you for this."