ˢᶤˣᵗᵉᵉᶰ

"Mom!" Brooklyn squealed happily when she saw her mother in the kitchen, drinking a cup of coffee while reading the day's newspaper.

She looked up to see her daughter bouncing towards her and a smile took over her face too. They clashed and hugged briefly before a serious expression took over Lisa's face and she talked in a solemn voice. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"What are you talking about, mom. I'm glad we were there when we were. Who knows what would've happened to you otherwise," she answered with a sad smile. "What happened?"

Lisa sighed and shook her head, closing the newspaper and setting it on the counter. "Your dad. He came in about an hour or so after you left, and I don't really know what went on but suddenly he was yelling at me, can't remember the reason, though, but it must've had at least some importance if he was going out of his mind screaming like that," she said with her head down, "next thing I know, he was holding a knife. I tried to stop him, tried to ran away, but he kept coming and eventually landed a cut," she glanced at her bandaged arm. "I was wincing in pain and that satisfied him somehow, he left me alone after that."

Brooklyn listened carefully, tears welling in her eyes and one rolled down her cheek. Lisa's heart clenched tightly looking at her daughter like this, sad and vulnerable. And to think Brooklyn had been all alone while she was wasting her life to alcohol. She's secretly glad that she had listened to Brooklyn's advice. It wasn't easy, but statistics does say it only takes two weeks to break a habit.

Her daughter is strong. She can go through hardships and only come out with a few scratches, dusting her shirt to all those people that she defeated in the process. But she's also humble, she won't deliberately put someone down to her own gain. She has an open heart that is willing to do anything to help others.

Lisa held her face with both hands and wiped the tears that are now flowing on both sides with her thumb. "Honey, don't cry. There was nothing you could've done."

"I could have," she wailed. "I shouldn't have went for that date with Asher. I should have stayed with you. I should have been by your side."

"No," Lisa said firmly, "you did the right thing. Leaving. If Bruce had lay a finger on you I wouldn't forgive myself. And it's not your fault, there was no way you could've known that your dad would come home."

"Mom," she cried. Lisa's effort in drying her tears proved to be useless because they kept coming. She shushed her and leaned her head on her shoulder, patting her back in comfort."

"It's okay," she repeated again and again. "I'm fine. You're fine. Everyone's safe. Oh good afternoon, Asher."

Brooklyn snuffled when she heard his name, her tears stopping momentarily. Slowly, she lifted her head, turned around, and sure enough he was standing by the doorway. He gave her a solid smile when they made eye contact.

It's gonna be alright.

"Afternoon, Mrs Reid. How are you feeling. I hope your arm is getting better?"

"Yes yes, Asher. Thank you," she answered in gratitude, "the doctor told me all about what you did, but I wanted to thank you in person. And please, call me Lisa."

He smiled in thanks. "Will do. I don't mean to intrude but do you mind if I steal Brooklyn for a bit? I have something I need to talk to her about."

"Go ahead, she's all yours," she said with a wink, "just give me one minute?"

"Take as long as you like," he gave and exited the kitchen, leaving the both of them alone.

"He's one hell of a man," Lisa said with a twinkle in her eyes, making Brooklyn blush a deep shade. Her mom didn't know what they were up to just now, Brooklyn knew just how man he is.

"He is."

Lisa gestured to the papers, and Brooklyn took a good look. They were on the front page; there was a short article and the same picture of them kissing. Brooklyn groaned, burying her face in her hands but Lisa just laughed good-naturedly.

"Cheer up," she laughed.

"How can I. My mother read about me and my boss going on a date and openly kissing."

Lisa smiled softly. "You can do whatever you want," she said. "And for the record, I approve."

•••

Several days had passed since the news broke that Asher was spotted in a lip lock with a girl. Although it wasn't in the front page anymore, the press still likes to occasionally remind the readers of the news.

It was because Asher Woods was an eligible bachelor and apparently that was a big deal to people, and they had to be up-to-date with everything he does. Especially if he has a girlfriend. That way, the female population can pummel the girl with threats and insults so that she'll break up with him.

The paparazzi haven't been able to get any confirmation about the news. For one, Brooklyn hardly left the mansion. Asher had given her permission to stay at his house and excused her for missing work, saying that Monica could cover her work for a few days.

This at least stopped the riot of paps seeing her leaving the mansion. She was safe from the public for awhile, until Asher asks her to go into civilization again.

He had welcomed her mom into his home too, even though she strongly refused, saying that she didn't want to intrude, but Asher insisted, and eventually she gave in.

"Hello," Brooklyn answered her phone that had sent a shrill noise as it rang, interrupting her leisure time. She had been in the living room, watching movie re-runs.

A familiar, but at the same time very alien voice greeted her back. "Brooklyn! Hey, it's Jessica, from high school!"

Her eyes widen when she heard the confirmation to the hunch she had. "Jess? Oh my God, I haven't heard from you since I left school, how have you been."

"I'm good, but I've been better," she answered, and Brooklyn heard what sounded like an underlying layer of sadness. Well, that took a turn alright. At first it was a best friend reunion, then it became dull and sad. "It's been a bad week."

"I'm sorry to hear," she felt genuine concern towards her old friend, "do you wanna talk about it? Maybe we can go out and grab a drink, catch up."

"Really?" Jessica sounded hopeful. "You'd do that?"

Brooklyn shrugged, although she knew Jessica couldn't see it. She didn't want her friend to be alone when she's in rough time, because given she was in her place, she wouldn't want to face it alone. "Why not, it's been ages since we've spoken. It would be nice to meet up."

"Sure. I'd like that."

Brooklyn smiled. "Cool! I'm free anytime if you want to hang. Maybe you can text me and we can plan something out."

"That's fine. Although..." she trailed.

"What's wrong?" Brooklyn asked, "now's good too if you really need someone to talk to. You've always had my back in high school, it's time I return the favor."

"Won't I disturb anything?"

"Nah," she dismissed. "There's a great café downtown, why don't we meet up there and you can tell me everything."

"Okay. Send me the address?"

"On it."

____________________

There probably won't be daily updates from now on. [20/12/17]

**8 days later and still on schedule [28/12/17]