ᵉᶤᵍʰᵗᵉᵉᶰ

...she smiled sweetly.

But even though Jessica was giving her a smile as though she had doused herself in sugar, there was no denying the fact that there was a hint of untruthfulness in her eyes. Brooklyn could feel the aura to the tip of her toes, sending chills to her body.

However, instead of showing that she was uncomfortable, Brooklyn smiled at her friend. It didn't matter that she was suddenly getting bad vibes with this meeting, she had to sit through it like there was no trouble.

If push comes to shove, she had Samuel on speed dial, surely he would help her get out.

Even though she had these thoughts, she still couldn't help but contradict it too. Jessica was a nice girl, she always had been. That was how they came along in the first place, she helped Brooklyn out of a rough patch, and they stuck together since.

Jessica wouldn't do anything that would hurt her, there was no doubt about it. They had been each others rock before Brooklyn left school, she wouldn't just throw it all away.

She smiled back and took the seat opposite her, her eyes suddenly became clear again and there wasn't any of the previous hint, making Brooklyn wonder if it was all just a trick of the eye.

That was actually better than assuming the worst.

"Oh my God, why am I sitting down," she almost yelled, jumping up from her seat and clacking over to Brooklyn in her heels and embraced her in a hug, "fuck. You've changed so much I hardly recognize you. Your voice haven't changed that much though," she said thoughtfully, "that's how I knew it was you when we were talking on the phone.

"I'm actually surprised you haven't changed your number. I was just trying it to test my luck and OMG it's really you," she squealed. In the middle of that long one-sided talk, she had gotten up and held her shoulders instead, but at the end of it her head was buried in her shoulder again.

Someone sure as hell got more talkative over the years.  

Brooklyn laughed good-heartedly and hugged her back, embracing her friend in a tight yet gentle hug. She patted her back and smiled despite her previous reserve.

Something wet touched her shoulder and as it kept coming, she realized those were big, fat tears streaming down her face. Okay, that's exaggerating too much. It was only a few silent streaks flowing down her cheek and onto her shoulder.

"Oh shit, are you crying? Why are you crying," she fumbled for words. Brooklyn wasn't good in dealing with crying babies, crying adults, or crying anything to be honest. She doesn't know what to do to make them feel better.

Jessica cried harder. "It's happy tears, you dipshit. I don't know why I took so long to convince myself to call you, it would've saved a lot of these tears if I just man up."

"Uh..technically you can't man up. You're not a man, first of all, and secondly, damn those boobs are goals."

She laughed though her tears. It's good to see the mood lighten. She punched her arm playfully, "you know what I mean. The thing is, you didn't make any move to call me either, so I made a conclusion that you didn't want to keep in contact. But seeing you here, on short notice, I realized that you do care."

"What's wrong with you, of course I care. And seriously? The only reason why I didn't make contact with you was because I thought you were done with me."

"How can I, best friend?"

A sob broke out when Brooklyn heard Jessica call her that. It has been years since they last talked, but if one thing haven't changed, it was their friendship.