Ch. VI | aletheia

- x -

"Don't clip my wings before I learn to fly
I didn't come back down to Earth to die"

F.U.B.U - Solange

- x -

The morning passed quicker than I thought it would. I moved from one class to another without incident, taking time to chat with Priya between classes. Though we only shared two classes, we would wait at our lockers to ensure we could talk for a few minutes. When the bell signaling that it was lunch rang, I shot towards the lunch hall and claimed a table, waiting for Ash and Priya. I sat alone for a few moments, skimming over my notes from earlier on in the day.

"Hey there." I looked up, smiling at Ash who had just sat opposite me. He laughed at me and my studious habits, before I closed my notebook and leaned in.

"Okay, come on, spill." I continued smiling and pushed my hair behind my ear. A blush spread across Ash's cheeks.

"Should we not wait for Pree?" I shook my head.

"She said she'd be busy over lunch, so we shouldn't wait up." She had been irritated that she wouldn't be there to hear Ash's story, but I had promised to fill her in with every detail. Ash nodded slowly, his blush not lessening.

"Okay, well, I got to Cas' party kinda late, so everyone was a little drunk by then." I nodded. "But when I did get there, Cas started dancing with me and essentially stayed with me the entire night." I squealed and grinned, making Ash blush even more. "Then, um," he trailed off for a moment, smiling to himself. "We kissed and ended up falling asleep on his sofa after everyone else left." I resisted the urge to squeal once more, and instead hopped out of my seat and sat next to Ash. I threw my arms around him briefly, giggling at his blush, which had still not subsided.

"Babe! I'm so happy for you!" I returned to my seat but did not stop smiling. "It's about time though - Cas has been crushing on you for ages!" Ash's eyes widened.

"You're kidding, right?" I chuckled and shook my head.

"You're so dense, it's adorable." He pouted, which made me laugh harder.

"Excuse me?" I raised an eyebrow. "I'm not adorable. I'm ruggedly handsome yet mysteriously cute." I immediately burst out laughing.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever gets you to sleep at night honey." Ash continued to pout, but I could see the amusement in his eyes.

We fell back into comfortable conversation, exchanging our usual witty remarks, sentences punctuated with laughter. The shine never seemed to leave his eye, filling me with a happiness that was rare for me to feel. As we chatted, his gaze shifted to something in the distance. I paused what I was saying and quickly whipped my head around, subtlety being the last thing on my mind. I noticed Caspian entering the lunch hall, and immediately turned back to Ash.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" He tried to restart our conversation, but I could tell I was the last thing on his mind. I chuckled.

"It doesn't matter." I stood up and picked up my now empty tray. "I'll catch up with you later, okay?"

"But-" I cut him off with a shake of my head, giving him a quick wink. He smiled at me, his cheeks beginning to redden. "Okay, see you later."

***

I weaved through students as I made my way through the school, on my way to a spot that Priya, Ash and I would often relax in. As I turned down a particularly empty hallway, I heard my name being called from behind me. I turned automatically, before letting out a groan.

"Not now, Blake. I really don't have the time." I whipped my head back around and tried to walk away.

"No, Willow, wait!" he reached out, and I felt the already-oversized jacket slipping from my shoulder as he tugged. He grabbed my sleeve, ripping it down my arm and exposing my skin. He gasped at the patches of purple and red which covered me. "Will? Are those bruises? Did... Did I leave those?" I laughed coldly. My heart was pounding, and I wanted nothing more than to punch Blake where he stood. I turned to fully face him.

"Don't pretend to care now. You've made it your mission to try and make my life a living hell for the past few years, but guess what? Here's the proof that you're far from the worst thing that I have to deal with." I snatched my sleeve out of his now-limp grip, pulling the jacket back over my shoulder. I allowed myself a single glance at his face. His expression was unreadable, though his eyes were wide and he was still staring at my shoulder. I turned on my heel and strode away from him.

I headed for the closest exit and threw open the door. I leaned against the wall, taking deep breaths and trying to calm myself down. My entire body was trembling and my heart was racing. My thoughts, however, were racing even faster. My head buzzed with panicked thoughts. What was Blake going to do? What if he told everyone?

I felt as though I was going to throw up. Part of me wanted to go up to Blake and make sure that he didn't tell anyone, but another part of me didn't want to see him ever again. I didn't particularly care what he thought of me, but the idea that my closest friends could find out absolutely terrified me; I didn't want them to know how weak I truly was. I didn't want them to judge me for not being in control of my own life.

As the thoughts continued to scream in my ears, I slumped down against the wall, pulling my knees against my chest. Each of the bruises that littered my body seemed to burn, the memories of how I received each and every one of them swarming my mind, playing like a movie that I couldn't turn off. I curled tighter into myself, my breathing picking up its pace. I began to sob quietly, unable to keep quiet any longer.

I wasn't sure how long I sat there, but I heard my name being called, and footsteps approaching me rapidly. I felt a hand touch my shoulder and I immediately recoiled.

"Will? It's okay, it's me." I slowly looked up, being met with Ash's panicked face. I began to cry again, fearing what he was going to say. Wordlessly, he sat beside me and wrapped his arms around me, rubbing circles on my back. Caspian approached, hugging me from the other side. My breathing began to level out, and I managed to move my arms to hug Caspian and Ash back. Ash pulled away from a moment, looking directly at me with a concerned expression. "Blake told us something was the matter with you. Did he do anything to you? Because I swear to god, if he did..." I shook my head and took a shaky breath.

"I really want to tell you, but I just can't." Ash nodded slowly.

"Well can you at least tell me whether you're going to be okay or not?" I chuckled bitterly.

"I wish I could, but I'm honestly not sure anymore."