Chapter 18 - Back To One

(Isabella's POV)

When I glance back over my shoulder, I catch Ethan's stare. He smiles at me, and so I smile back at him. Is it possible to have clean slate? I don't know, but I'm going to try. I know that I want Ethan in my life, so if this is the way to keep him, then I'm going to try my best. I don't want us to be on bad or even weird terms.

Everyone has changed up seats this time around. I sit in the front with Jasmine. Brooklyn and Max have taken the middle row. The remaining three boys have taken the back row. They cause an uproar now and then, and it seems as if they are all getting along like old friends. That's what they are anyways.

Jasmine catches me in the act of smiling. "I assume that everything is good between the two of you." She mentions as she keeps her eyes trained on the dark road. She is the true trooper for driving us there and back. I'd hate driving this much, especially a van. Jasmine smirks a little because she always knows everything that's up with me.

I give her a little hit with the back of my hand. "It's better, I think. We agreed to have clean slate."

"You do the little arguing thing that you, two do? It's weird you know that." She teases as she steals glances at me. She shifts her hands into a more comfortable position and moves her hair from her face.

I shrug. Weird, yes. But effective. "Yeah, but I think we needed it." I say and let out a sigh. "I'm hoping that this time it sticks. We've 'made up' like three times already. Each time there's like this new obstacle that sets us back to square one and we borderline hate each other." I adjust my position in the seat and lean one arm on the window, resting my head on my hand. I play with the end of my shirt.

"You two could never hate each other." Jasmine rolls her eyes at me. "It's just you two being difficult because change is hard, but it is also a necessary life component. It's the only way we grow, and I'm pretty sure you and Ethan needed your friendship to grow into its next level. It's not like how it was before, not by a long shot, but you two were trying to make it that way. I think it's a good thing that you are clean slating it. You're both different people than when you were younger before he left."

I chuckle. "Thank you, oh wise one." I make fun of her.

"I'm just saying." She shrugs and laughs. "I just want the best for you. You both are my friends. Dumb friends, but still friends. The best for you two is having each other in your lives. Whether that be as friends... or something more." She insinuates.

"Jasmine." I scold her. "There's no-"

"Oh, I love this song!" She says as she raises the volume on the radio to a new song by Young the Giant. "What did you say, Bella? I couldn't hear you." She jokes with a sly smile. Everyone in the back seat starts to sing along to the song because it's infectious, and any form of communication is basically useless. Jasmine smiles at me.

I'm getting ready for bed when I hear a tap on my window. I raise an eyebrow as I look towards the curtains. Well, that's not creepy. I'm too curious, and I peek through the window at the night. At first, I don't notice much but the bushery near my windows. The night actually looks rather calm. My heart beats loudly in my ear when Ethan jumps out of nowhere. I cup my mouth to stop the loud shriek from being anymore shrill. I push open the window and lean on the sill. "Not cool." I huff as I look at him with disapproval.

Ethan just shrugs and stuffs his hands into the pockets of his monochromatic maroon sweatshirt. He smiles brightly at me because he thinks he's the funniest person in the world for scaring me like that. "It doesn't get old. You're too easy, Bella." He chuckles as he rocks back and forth on his feet. "Mind if I come in?" He gestures to my room.