Chapter 2 - At Every Reunion There Must Be Food

(Isabella's POV)

I am seriously late, beyond late. Mom and Dad are going to kill me. I climb out of my car and shut the door quickly. I run to the front door as fast as possible. As fast as my new Jimmy Choo knock-off ankle boots can carry me. I get to the door and breathed, getting the shallow breaths to calm down. I fix my hair and straighten out my off shoulder shirt. I have chosen a simple pair of skinny jeans with this outfit if you're curious.

I open the door and walk to our dining room. "Hello," I say. My mom shoots me a look like I was in deep trouble, which I probably am. I'd be dead if looks could kill or if my mother had laser vision. I examine our visitors. I sort of recognize everybody. They just look a lot older. That's not an insult. It is the truth. Mrs. Knight and my mom were working on dinner in the kitchen. Jessie is sitting on the counter with a bag of clothing from Forever 21. I smile at the sight.

She winks and mouths to me, "After."

Mr. Knight and my dad are on the couch yelling and watching a basketball game. How typical. Next to them is a boy my age with blond hair. I notice the distinct difference between the seventh grader that left and the junior that has returned. Like the boy that left used to be lanky and awkward. Now, I'm looking at a reasonable good-looking young man. Though, just from the air around him, I can tell that I'm looking at the exact same person.

I walk over to the couch. Although my change in appearance argues, my curiosity never is quenched for a good ball game. "Who's winning?" I ask. It is Miami Heat versus Boston Celtics. My family often supports the Heat with their Big Three, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and of course, the all-powerful LeBron James.

"Celtics," Dad grunts disappointed and bitter. He is deep in the game, Mr. Knight as well. It is best to stay away. Basketball is taken a little too seriously in this family. Even Mom gets curious and cheers at times.

The blond boy's eyes drift from the TV to take a glance at me and then back at the TV. After a second, his eyes come back to me. I wonder if he could tell that his jaw dropped. I simply smile at him.

I walk back to the counter and sit with my sister. "Hey, Jess." She was back, visiting from college, University of Central Florida. She looks behind me at the couch potatoes.

"Is it me, or did Ethan get cuter?" She asks. I hope she is kidding. Please, be kidding.

I shrug. Yes, I do notice the difference. Though, there is no attraction. I still see scruffy haired Ethan Knight. It's the personality that I can't deny being the same. Still, I lie. "Looks the same to me. That's a little creepy, though." I laugh. If I had admitted to knowing of the difference she might insinuate and assume. That's just how my sister is. "He's three years younger than you. So what's in the bag?"

"Some new clothes for you." She says casually. I raise an eyebrow. "Mom says save it. So I'll let you at it after they leave." She does this ever time she visits. I used to hate it when she shopped for me. Now she brings home really cute stuff for me. My sister is definitely something.

In my eyes, Jessie will always be the reason I changed. She took me to the mall and told me to pick out some new clothes. When I showed her my selection, she dumped it all on the nearest shelf. All the camouflage printed shirts and pants, the beanies, the sneakers, and the loose jeans. She picked out a whole new four outfits, two pairs of sunglasses, and three pairs of shoes for me. Then she took me to the beauty department, despite my adamant protests. She asked for a whole bunch of products and took me home without letting me say a word.

She made me change into a frilly skirt and a Hollister cardigan. Without letting me glance into a mirror, she sat me down and did my hair and makeup. After about three hours of a complete makeover, she let me at a mirror. After looking at me, I fell in love with my new look. I looked so mesmerizing and different. I felt pretty.