13) The best kind of fire

Terri helped. Honestly, she was much more helpful with keeping Vera from breaking down than actually tidying up, but Vera appreciated it much more than assistance on wiping the floor spotless. They stayed for two hours, Vera still not quite satisfied, but convinced they had done enough for one night. When she would gather enough courage (possibly liquid one), she could come back. Tomorrow. Or the day after tomorrow. Week tops. Terri walked her home and Vera actually managed to go the sleep without the glass of whiskey which waited for her in the fridge. Mind over matter. She didn't even drink it next morning, because she didn't need to get up at the exorbitant hour, having a day off.

Truth to be told, having a Friday off kinda sucked. Having any day off sucked, because she needed to do something. So she cleaned up her apartment, tried to casually chat with Anna, not having to hold her tears at her love-struck rambling about Martin, her boyfriend, because something finally went well in her love life and they were officially together for over a month and they were totally in the beginning of a relationship, when they were still a little worried about how far they could go with touching and Anna was smitten and wouldn't shut up about it. In the end, Vera guessed it was better than if she asked Vera about Matt.

Her mum did ask about Matt. It was Vera's fault, because it was her own idea to skype in the afternoon, so she had something to pass the time (and she was pretty much fed up with reading from the hospital, so books were a no-no). Her mum thought she was being too sad. She figured out it was because of boyfriend troubles. Naturally.

Vera sighed. "Yeah... Uhm. He left to travel across states. Kinda"

Her mum's eyebrows shot up in silent shock. Vera hated telling the stupid tale over and over – she said it to everyone and she did it so often she was almost starting believing it.

"Ugh. Some university asked him if he could make a lecture about the biggest case their practise had – a huge corruption case, all over the newspapers – and some other professors heard of it and they wanted that kind of a lesson too, and they also wanted him to talk about making it through college with a disability, so now he's just moving from one uni to another, super busy and miles away," she recited the story on autopilot, not quite looking to her mum's eyes even on the screen.

Shocked silence followed. And Vera understood. It was a lot to take in and it utterly, utterly sucked (well it would, if it was the truth anyway), but really? She eyed her mum – her expression was a mixture of confusion, surprise and suspicion.

"Yeah, I know. I miss him," Vera offered carefully, the face on the screen frowning, gaze examining Vera closely.

"Why would Matt lectured students about studying college with disability?" she asked slowly and Vera suddenly realized her mistake, her mouth falling open. Oh shit. Oh shit.

"Uhm... his friend is blind?" she tried her best to sound at least a little convincing, probably failing miserably. Her mum's face changed colour to something slightly redder than usual, expression losing the confused note, being replaced by comprehension and something Vera was pretty sure was betrayal.

"Sweetheart? Is Matt blind?" she demanded, voice pretended kindness and patience.

"...Maybe?"

Her mother gaped silently. "You're dating a blind man for almost four months and you never thought it might be an interesting fact to share with me?!"

Oh god, Vera was in so much trouble. Her mum was watching her expectantly, waiting for an excuse for such a horrible crime.

"I... plead the fifth?" she offered innocently and the face on the screen gave her an unimpressed look.

"Of course you do. You're dating a blind lawyer."