6) Welcome to Allentown

"Now, are you gonna tell me how the hell did you get me on the ground?" That sentence started series of quite effective ways how to throw someone off balance - literally. Vera was tired, but what Matt did to her earlier bugged her, and since he was showing her that, he added few more cool, yet relatively easy moves.

"Matt, I'm not doing this to you," she protested when she tried the trick for like tenth time, still refusing to cut out his core and trip him for real.

"Vera, you have to. If you won't actually try it, you'll never learn. You need to let your body, your muscles to remember it."

"I'm not hurting you!"

Small smile on his lips. "You won't," he paused for a second and added: "I did it to you."

Somehow, he ended up lying on the mattress without Vera being aware she did something. Shame was he probably allowed her to do it and didn't put up a fight. It would be more satisfying if he did, but then he probably wouldn't be on his back. Dammit.

They quitted shortly after eleven, Matt changing and graciously walking her home in the Devil's way. Her whole body ached despite not being thrown on the ground multiple times (Matt was; he didn't even flinch, but she was confident we would be sore tomorrow – then again, when he ever wasn't). He stopped by her window, kissing her goodnight and she took quick shower, washing off the sweat and dust they whirled up, falling asleep with her hair dripping water.

In the morning, Vera understood that muscle memory can have a whole different meaning – her body sure remembered. She whined as she was getting up, cursing Matt Murdock while being incredibly grateful to him at the same time. She made it through the morning shift, holding back whimpers though. She hoped it would get better, because otherwise she was never going to survive her course in Allentown.

If she ever learnt something about sore muscles, it was that movement, taken easily, was the best cure – so after clean up at Fogwell's, she did a little exercise, going over what Matt told her last night. To her surprise, he showed up, wearing his Devil of Hell's Kitchen outfit, so she could practise on him, claiming he heard her. She appreciated his gesture big time, carefully asking him if he could show her just a little bit more. He did. He ended up teaching her... taking steps. When she pointed out that she could walk just fine, he laughed, explaining they would add something to those steps when she would come back. He noted he would miss her, then kissed her senseless, freezing out of blue and disappearing as his ears picked up some crime. She worried, alright, but she was leaving the gym smiling goofily nevertheless.

The next morning was even more brutal, but only due to the lack of sleep – her muscles felt more relaxed, possibly ready for any afternoon/evening work out she expected. Terri was a treasure, agreeing to coming to her own shift three hours earlier, so Vera could leave. So at eleven, Vera got on a bus, case, handbag and determination with her, heading hundred miles over. She was ridiculously excited.

The excitement slowly drifted away with each minute in over-heated bus with strong smell of gasoline. Luckily enough, lack of sleep caught up with her and she fell asleep, woken up twice by loud mechanical voice announcing the stop – Newark and Easton. After that, she only snoozed, checking the clock from time to time. Forty minutes later, the bus stopped again, reaching her final destination. Cold air welcomed her and she breathed it in gratefully.

Of course, it took another half an hour to get to the hotel their meeting should take place – it wasn't exactly in the centre of the town, which Vera appreciated – mainly because she checked the prices there. She still had some savings, café salary allowing her to get through without a need to touch them, but she wouldn't want to spend most of it for accommodation. When she entered the hotel, she went straight to the reception desk, only to be directed to seat herself on one of the footstools. Vera found three people already sitting in the area, cases by their side, coats or jackets folded in their laps, all of them cautiously eyeing each other. She gave them an unsure smile, pleasantly surprised two of them reciprocated her gesture. Yet, none of them spoke, rather watching their phone screens – Vera let Terri know she was on spot, remembering she wanted her to do so. Terri was convinced that Vera travelling by bus automatically meant a car accident – Vera tried not to be too offended by her assumption.