Graduation Day

I returned back to the table where Tom was waiting, placing his mug of tea down in front of him. "So, do you have everything you need now?" He asked as we sat in a small cafe, just a few hundred yards from the shop where I had bought my dress.

"I think so." I sighed lightly, "I'll borrow a bag from Viv - she has hundreds - and I'll have shoes somewhere." I racked my brains trying to think of appropriate shoes. I wasn't the kind girl who had loads of high heels - much preferred the comfort of my Vans or Converse. I shrugged at him, pouring the milk into my tea, "I'll manage something." I smiled at him through the steam of my tea as I lifted the mug to my lips.

Tom looked at me, put down his mug and sighed, grabbing my hand over the table. He rubbed my knuckles with his thumb - it was something he often did and, I have to admit, I loved it. "What do you mean you'll have them somewhere?" He questioned as I moved my hand to interlock my fingers with his.

"I mean I'll have a pair of shoes kicking around the flat somewhere. I'll find something." I smiled, "The dress was just slightly more expensive and ate into my budget a bit more than I planned." I laughed nervously.

Tom looked me dead in the eyes, "Will you let me buy you new shoes?" He asked, his eyes full of sincerity. I froze for a few seconds, my brain taking a while to come up with an answer.

"I can't let you do that, Tom. It's a lovely offer, but no. You don't need to spend money on me." I squeezed his hand, confirming my answer.

"But I want to." His face was gentle as he spoke. "I want to do this for you. Your dress is stunning and you're going to look beautiful. Please let me do this for you." He leaned closer to me, lowering his voice, "I won't take no for an answer." He kissed my cheek before sitting back in his seat once more.

"Look, Harvey Nicholls is just over the square. Why don't we head there?"

"What?!" I nearly choked on my tea, "No! You're not taking me there. That place is far too expensive!"

Next thing I knew, Tom was holding the shiny department store door open for me, ushering me in with his large hand on the small of my back. He stopped to speak to the door man, "We're looking for shoes for this lady, which floor please?"

"Second floor, sir. Escalators are just to the right." 

"Thank you." Tom nodded and the door man touched the brim of his hat.

We made it to the second floor and, as we came over the curve of the escalator, I was presented with more pairs of shoes than I had ever seen in my life. Concessions of every designer were located on this floor. I didn't know where to start.

I moved off of the escalator taking a few steps forward just staring in awe.

"Any pair you like, my darling girl." Tom whispered in my ear before kissing my neck and grabbing my hand, encouraging me to move around and look.

I slowly wandered round the entire floor hand in hand with Tom. Gucci, Prada, Jimmy Choo - all with countless pairs on display. I was like a child in a toy shop - staring everywhere in awe.

Then I saw them. Their patent leather gleaming in the light as they rotated on the small mechanical platform they sat on. They were beautiful.

Tom saw me staring, "Try them on." he encouraged me.

I looked from him, back to the shoes which, as they had turned, revealed their red sole. 

Louboutins.

"Tom, I can't! They're Louboutins!" I gasped, "Do you know how expensive those are?!" 

He shrugged, smiling, "I've got a rough idea." He laughed gently, nudging me towards the stand.