Milk & Teabags

6 WEEKS LATER

My last day of uni was finally upon me. And, here I was - at home up to my eyeballs with sketches and ideas, desperately trying to get them down on paper without panicking. I sat cross legged on the living room floor wearing my uniform of the last few days - leggings and a baggy white t-shirt of Tom's that I had managed to steal without him noticing. 

My hair was a mess - the bun I had pulled it into had become a second home for the colour pencils I no longer needed, sticking out at a multitude of angles.

The speaker that my phone was plugged in to was blasting out The Beatles and I was surrounded by a variety of sketchbooks and pieces of paper. It was chaos and basically looked like a small tornado had torn through our flat. However, it worked for me. Neat and tidy did nothing for me. It was chaos but it was my chaos. I worked well when there was a mess.

Viv had been an absolute saint all week - supplying me with a steady stream of tea and snacks. Her course had finished the week prior and she said she would help me in any way she could. And she had been worth her weight in gold.

"Oh for Pete's sake!" I seethed through gritted teeth. I had been searching for this red pencil for 10 minutes now. It was a specific colour of red that I needed for one of the last pieces I was working on. I threw paper, launched sketchbooks - nothing. It had disappeared. Then I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder before something slid out of my hair. Viv's hand came into view holding the red pencil - "Looking for this?" She smiled at me, not judging me in the slightest. "Here you go, love." I smiled a thank you to her and relaxed slightly as she left the room - probably to put the kettle on again. I had drank a massive amount of tea these last few days.

A few hours later, I was done. My coursework was finished. And as soon as I handed it in, I would be done with uni. I presented everything in my folio and was ready to head to the uni to hand it in.

I rummaged in my wardrobe and pulled a long cardigan on top of Tom's t-shirt. It still smelt of him and my heart ached a little every time I caught a whiff. I slipped on my faithful white converse and grabbed my bag and folio. Not caring how I looked - I was literally going to uni and straight back - I said goodbye to Viv. She gave me a hug in return, "Good luck love, this is it. I'm so proud of you."

I felt a lump forming in the back of my throat, "Oh stop it, you'll make me cry!" I swiped the sleeve of my cardigan over my eyes as Viv laughed, "Fine then, get out of here bitch!" That better?"

I couldn't help but laugh, "Much." I smiled my thank you and left, running down the stairs - only an hour and a half until the submission deadline.

Feeling lazy, I jumped on the bus - clutching my portfolio like my life depended on it. Nobody was getting anything or anywhere near it. No chanced were being taken that would result in four years of work being ruined by a stupid accident. 

The bus stopped and a few people got on as I skipped to the next song on my phone. I noticed Jamie was one of them.

"Jay?" I smiled as he walked towards me. He smiled as it dawned on him it was me.

"Em! You're back! When did you get back? How was it? Was it amazing? How amazing was it?" He asked, firing questions out at rapid pace. 

I laughed at him, "Ok, which one of those would you like me to answer first?"

We spoke for the rest of the journey - nearly missing our stop as we did. Standing outside looking up at the building in front of us. "You ready?" I asked Jay. He nodded and, with a deep breath, we headed in together.

A short twenty minutes later, we emerged from the building back into the sunlight - both of us breathing a sigh of relief before breaking in to grins. "We're done!" Jamie squealed as we hugged, earning some strange looks from a few passers by. We were mid hug when my phone rang - Viv.