Dec 19: Vision for 2018

Start from the beginning

Songwriting I have written some great new songs and am in the process of copywriting all my songs, both new and old with STIM and CCLI. 

I went to two conferences - one in Nashville and one in Huskvarna, Sweden where I saw and heard great songwriters and performers in action. This has helped me develop my songwriting process and I am already seeing the quality of my songs increase.

I have watched videos about songwriting and this has challenged me to go deeper and linger on songs like a hen with her eggs  - giving them time and checking for alternative wording and chords as well as allowing time for the arrangements to develop during my daily practice. During 2017 I learned methods and structure for writing songs that engage listeners and create a buzz. 2018 is gonna be awesome.

Music Theory - I have freshened up what I already know and am beginning to use the program MuseScore so I can write down my music and add it to CCLIs website. 

Branding I have developed the Featherhead Media brand on the website and on social media.

Writing: I found out about Wattpad and my writing took a great leap. You can't see them yet but there are many sketches in the pipeline - maybe 20 books or so. I have already published two lyrics book just to test the water and published parts of this book and written (but not yet published the book My Imaginary Friend.

I am learning from my oldest sister/mentor, Wendy, who has now published and sold a few great books, the best of which I get as a Christmas gift. Confessions of a Safety Engineer here's the link: 

https://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Female-Safety-Engineer-Delmater/dp/1975987772

I have learned about Goodreads, SmashWords, Scribed, Draft2 Digital and more. My head is spinning. 

Planning: Started to plan my time in blocks. 

Goals for 2018: 

1. Release and promote the Change My Mind album asap (i.e mix and master the songs I am responsible for and get them up to the level of Sonic Medias so we can combine the songs he has mastered with mine seamlessly on the album.)

This is going to require a lot of work in the studio here before I can book a visit for a couple of days in Gothenburg where we put it all together, create backtracks and clean up the whole thing. I'll need to pay for the session time in Gothenburg. He can't do it for free. 

I'll have to pay for a distribution company and buy some radio time.

The songs need to be updated on the Featherheadmedia's homepage and made available for download there as well as being distributed on streaming platforms.

2. Write the Change My Mind book. While the album is being registered with CDBaby, take two weeks off of music and write the book, Change My Mind in Word and send it for feedback, proofreading and criticism.

3.  Get the book published

4. Start making and releasing new music as singles (5 to 8) next year and a lyrics video in high quality for each one.

5. Learn music theory, chord analysis and basic piano: circle of fifths, rhythm, etc.

Now, here's something that can help you make 2018 your best making music year ever.

Just read a great email from Shaun Letang at Music Industry How To and I thought it was so good so I want to share it's main points with you. Here are his tips on how to make indie music work in the coming year.

How to make 2018 your music year in 14 steps(Shaun Letang):

1. Map out your main goals for 2018. Be sure they're S.M.A.R.T goals, as in Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Timed. ...

2. Focus on quality over quantity. Don't try and record 40 songs in the coming year; make 12-16 which will sound good alongside the top songs in your genre. Spend the rest of the time marketing these songs.

3. Make sure you have a website.

4. Make sure your website is super attractive and easy to navigate. Don't forget key words, tags, seekability etc...

5. Add logos of places you've appeared on your website. This will help provide instant credibility and have people give your music more of a chance.

6. Start collaborating (and networking) with other companies, musicians, songwriters and industry professionals. This is super important!

7. Collaborate more with other musicians. Agree to promote the songs to each of your fans, so you both essentially end up with bigger fan-bases.

8. Merch Increase the range of merch you offer at gigs. ...These will make your shows more sustainable in the long run. What is a great concert w/o a great t-shirt?

9. Make your music easy to purchase. On your website, publish it on Spotify, Amazon etc. Make CDs if you are going to do gigs. Yes, people still buy them and vinyl as well if you are doing well. 

10. Get signed up to a royalty collection agency. If you are writing your own music this is a must. In the U.S. it is ASCAP for example in Sweden it is STIM. You have to be registered with a royalty collection agency in order to self publish music on, for example CDBaby. CDBaby pays out to STIM and STIM, in turn pays out to its members. CDBaby never pays directly to you. 

11. Focus on less forms of social media. Keep the ones that work well for you and work them well. 

12. Make marketing a priority if you already have great songs!

13. Build up a 'buyers list.' So every time someone buys music or merch from you, be sure to get their email address. Keep them informed and respond quickly to their questions/posts. 

14. Have fun! Don't lose the passion for what you do!

(These 14 steps were condensed from Shaun Letang's, Music Industry How To email. Thanks, Shaun!) 

I hope that you are starting to understand that this music business is complicated - not sexy. You don't make anything on it and everyone wants you to publish things yesterday. Still, its the passion that keeps you going. Next year you can see the continuation of my journey to an album release. 

Well, that's almost all for this year.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

- Elisabeth Kitzing