Ten

"I don't have any money." I said sadly, hating to even say the words. I hating being poor and barely being able to afford living. Going to college didn't make things easier. Neither did my strained relationship with my mother.

Gage stuck his hands in his back pockets. "Where do you want to go?"

I sighed and sat down on the porch steps. "I guess we have to go back." I hated admitting defeat, especially to my brother. I wanted him to know that I was grown up enough that I could handle myself. I also wanted him to trust Gage with me.

Gage sat down beside me. "I bet he's not even there yet."

"He's probably pacing the perimeter of the house."

He smiled. "You think so?"

"You wanna bet?"

"With what money?"

I laughed. "Right. Let's go."

Gage ran fast but I knew he wasn't going as fast as he could. When we got close enough that we could see the house, he slowed down a bit, staying behind trees so Carter couldn't see us coming.

Sure enough, Carter was pacing back and forth, only wearing a pair of shorts. He had his head down and his eyes were dark. His hands were balled into fists at his sides and the muscles were almost forcing their way out of his body.

I took Gage's hand as we walked toward Carter. His head snapped up and he watched us approach in silence.

The front door opened and two boys came running out. Two boys I hadn't seen in a year. Evan and Noah. Evan was taller and his hair was cut shorter than I remembered. Noah's dark hair hung over his eyes and his muscle shirt and sweatpants were a size too big, like they were hand-me-downs from Evan. They both had the same facial features that told they were brothers.

Noah hugged me, his huge body enveloping me. He smelled sweaty but he didn't look it. It was such a guy smell. Ugh. "I knew you couldn't stay gone forever."

"Why didn't you tell us you were back?" Evan asked, grinning at me.

"I thought Carter would have mentioned it to you." I said. "I've been back a week now. Why haven't you been by?"

"We're working boys now, V. You'd be proud."

I raised my eyebrows. "You have jobs?"

They both nodded.

Evan spoke up. "We're working with dad at the hardware store."

Their dad owned a hardware store on the other side of town. He loaned lots of equipment when the boys were fixing up the house after Carter became the alpha. He was the father that everyone wished they had, especially Carter.

"Do you think he'd hire me?"

Noah slung his arm over my shoulders, completely oblivious to Gage standing beside me. "I'll put in a good word for you."

"Thanks." I said, patting his hand. I tried to shrug him off before Gage got jealous.

When we walked past Carter, he grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the boys.

"I want to talk to you." He said quietly.

Noah and Evan headed inside, unaware of the problem between the three of us. Gage, however, stayed beside me, watching Carter.

Carter rolled his eyes. "I just want to talk. Don't look at me like that."

"Whatever you say to her, you can say to me."

"Gage, just give us a minute." I said, holding his gaze.

He hesitated before looking at Carter once more. He went into the house without another word, leaving Carter and I alone.

I sat down on the step and looked up at Carter. "Are you going to say I told you so?"

"I wanted to say I'm sorry." He sat down beside me.

"I'm trying to move on, Carter. This... imprint is my chance to move on from Will."

"I don't want you to forget about him. That's never what I wanted."

"You were right. I've been stuck in the past with just... memories. I need to move on."

"With Gage?"

"I can't fight the imprint."

He sighed. "And neither can he."

"Did you tell mom?"

"What's going on with you is none of my business. If you want her to know then you tell her."

"I'm pretty sure she already knows about Gage."

"You should tell mom how you really feel."

I laughed but the thought of telling mom everything scared me. Would she be mad at me for telling her how I felt about her? I love my mother but there were times I wondered if I was adopted.

He nudged my shoulder. "Don't let her get to you."

I nodded. "That's easier said than done."

He stood up and stretched his arms over his head. "You better go inside. Gage is standing at the door and he's getting anxious."

I looked back at the door though I couldn't see what was on the other side. I couldn't hear anything either. Only the sound of birds and crickets chirping.