Let us mourn the men we were and welcome the men we are

Chapter 9 - Let us mourn the men we were, and welcome the men we are

Blake watched the horseman race across the fields, had watched with a strange enthusiasm as the lad bobbed up and down on the back of the beautiful grey beast, He had tried to stop his eyes straying to the round behind. He was going mad, but something was disturbingly familiar about that behind. And he had waited until the lad had stopped at the top of the hill and removed his cap, letting an abundance of mahogany brown hair fall to his back. And then it made sense. 'Elizabeth' he muttered as His smile caught his lips, which would be permanent now.

He was In-fact a she, and she was dressed in men's clothing, astride a horse, what a naughty girl.

Lizzie pulled on the reins and brought Misty to a slow walk, she leant over and patted her neck enthusiastically.

'Good girl'

She was smiling to herself. How she had missed this, freedom that came with her Home. She sat back in the saddle and took in the view before her. She had picked up the pace the moment they hit the open fields, and hadn't stopped until she had reached the top of the hill, as far as they could go. She sat on top her beloved horse in her second-hand breeches and shirt, and felt the wind blow over her hot skin. It was mid-afternoon and Lizzie knew she had to head back before anyone knew she was missing. Guests had started arriving and although she would be undetected out here, she still had to slip back in and be ready for dinner in a matter of hours. She looked down and across the large grassy land toward the beautiful house that sat there. Whittlefield Park. Her home. Her fathers pride and joy, and how she loved it.

The large sandy yellow stones of the house were like a beacon of love and security, warmth and family, which called her when she saw them. The veranda which covered the back of the entire house looked beautiful with it's fresh flowers and furniture, ready for the guests. Large windows lined it, which let as much natural light into the home as possible, making it warm and welcome. At the front, large stone steps which when she climbed, her feet recognised as her last steps to take her home and through the giant door where she knew she was safe. White Pillars guarded each side like a shield from the outside world. She breathed deeply inhaling the scent of the wild flowers and grass around her, she lifted her face toward the sun and let the warmth envelope her, she removed the old cap her hair was tucked under, shaking it free to fall down her back to her waist. Out here she could forget everything. Forget about London and forget about a certain Earl.

She hadn't even seen him since Victoria's engagement ball. Not since they had been together, intimately. Since he had left her in the study alone. And she wasn't looking forward to seeing him now. What was going to happen, would he still come? Did she want him to still come? She knew deep down she did. But something had happened at the ball and he had changed, she wasn't sure if the change had been there before the great pleasure, or had it come after? Perhaps it was regret, had she done something wrong? Was she not meant to have enjoyed it so much, was her wanton behaviour that had caused the change? She didn't know what had happened, she felt confused and actually rather vexed at him for his recent behaviour.

She frowned as the thoughts raced through her mind. She had come out to clear her mind, instead the thoughts continued to take up valuable space. Could it be that other ladies do not show their enjoyment so much? She cringed at her thoughts, at the situation. She grabbed fist full of her hair and attempted to tuck it back under the old cap, muttering to her

'I am a stupid, stupid girl' she pulled it low over her face and kicked misty into action.

Blake had ridden all the way from London and was taking his horse to the stable when he decided to go for a wonder. He'd seen the lad riding skilfully, pushing the horse harder and harder across the land and instantly knew something was familiar. He had been confused at his attraction, his body's traitorous reaction which had initially worried him to say the least, but his body knew her before his mind had. He watched her jump down and pat the horse once more. Her breeches clung to her legs, thighs and bum and it was the most arousing thing he had seen. She wore a shirt tucked in and it was loose over her shoulders exposing creamy flesh. He was hard and aching for her. He had distanced himself from her after what happened at the ball. He didn't regret it, but having a few days away from her hadn't cleared his mind one bit. He had simply wondered where she was, what she was doing and if she was thinking of him. Was she playing him for a fool? Or was she innocent. He was no closer to his answer. The one thing he knew, was he had missed her terribly.