Part twenty five- Birthday Surprises

Start from the beginning

“The limousine should be here shortly.” Slade said while his eyes gazed upon me. I felt nothing compared to the man in front of me though. Slade looked stunning in a black, tight-fitted Armani suit with a white dress shirt underneath and a red tie that matched the color of my dress. His face was clean shaven and his dark hair had been cut so it was short and stylish. He looked like a business man.

“Where are we going?” I asked with excitement in my voice. I would be glad to get out of this house for a while. The happiness pulsed though my body so much that I couldn’t keep the smile off of my face.

“We will be going to one of my favorite restaurants.” Slade replied with a grin. “I will need you to be on your best behavior. You are going to be on show for my people and I can’t have any mistakes being made on your behalf. Am I clear?”

I took in a shaky breath. Why did this all seem so serious? It is indeed my birthday. “I’ll try my best”

“Indeed you will. I’m sure you don’t want to find out what will happen to you if something goes wrong?” Slade questioned and I just shook my head before he continued on. “We’re in England. More and more vampires inhabit the land every day, though there are still humans here. They don’t know we exist and we intend to keep it that way. Do you understand Darling?”

“I do.” I replied with a cringe.

“Oh you’ll be saying those words very soon.” Slade said with his annoying, cocky attitude.

I wanted to glare at Slade and I wanted to scream and shout at him. Instead, I let him take his hand in mine and lead me out the front door and to the awaiting limousine.

I sat in the car with my hands folded nervously in my lap. I was scared. I was human, going out to impress vampires. What type of job did Slade have?

I was about to question him when he handed me an empty champagne glass. I gripped the glasses’ stem in my shaky hands. “Thanks”

Slade grabbed a champagne bottle out of the mini fridge and it made a ‘popping’ noise when he opened it. This was going to be so different from all of the other birthdays I had ever celebrated. I would never understand why fate thought it would be a good idea to put me through hell. Fate could have picked anyone else, but instead I was her target. In my opinion fate was, and still is, a bitch!

“To proposals.” Slade said as he filled my cup with the bubbling, red liquid. Oh the double meanings that those to words had. This was it; I was now fully committed to marrying him. Like I had a choice? I lifted the glass to my lips and took a small sip. It was literally fizzy blood with a hint of alcohol in the background. Who even made this stuff? It was good, so good that I gulped down the rest of the glass and then held it out for more.

“You’re a demanding little thing aren’t you?” Slade questioned with a smirk before half-filling my glass. He saw my questioning stare and answered, “We can’t have you getting drunk and making a fool of yourself now, can we?”

“I just think I will need a little bit of help to get me through this night.” I responded with a manic laugh before trying to snatch the bottle from his hands. Slade was too quick though and had the bottle stored back in the mini fridge before I could even get to it. Of course he could see right through me. In an instant Slade gripped my wrists and panic shot through my body, but his grip was neither mean nor playful.

“Violet, Violet, Violet,” Slade mumbled while shaking his head. “I don’t want to be angry on your birthday, so please don’t give me the need to punish you. And besides,” Slade gestured with his arms to the car’s windows which I couldn’t see through, “We’re here.”