8 - Little Wolf

Author:Multijoys

Author:
Multijoys

Genre
Werewolf

Date of review
June, 29th 2018

_____

Title

Since my last review, ages ago, the title of this book changed from Wolf Song to Little Wolf. I think I prefer the poetry of the former title, but Little Wolf kind of work. Despite the fact that, outside any context, it sounds like a toddler book title, with the subtitle, it works well to evoke the native american tone intended. I must admit I would rather read about "indians" than the modern-Twilight version of werwolves, but I'll try not to be biased (Spoiler alert, I'll fail).

_____

Cover

Here too, some change occured, the dark-blue forrest turned into a rather handsome man merging with a howling wolf. The new cover screams "YA story aimed mostly at girls" and, not being a young girl, I'm not a fan. In any case howling wolves evoke bad tacky tatoos so I'm not a fan even more. These personnal consideration aside, the cover is catchy enough. However, I would get rid of the red paw trace and of the unnecessary "by:"
To conclude, I would also use a better pen name than your Wattpad pseudo.

_____

Blurb

The "finished" mention should go. Or at least, be separated from your blurb. It's getting in the way as is.

After that, your blurb is clunky, quite unclear, and feels like a succession of info, dumped there without much link.

A blurb should be the point of entry to your story. It should be short and efficient, telling enough of the story to appeal readers but not revealing everything for them to want to read further.

And it must be without grammatical mistakes. It's just a few paragraph you must have thought thoroughly. The fact that you legt errors in your very first sentence makes me grind my teeth. Lucky for you, blurbs are strike free. That's even more a pity because your first paragraph is good as a blurb intro.

Unfortunately the two following paragraph don't work. The "no boundary" sentence isn't bad in itself but it's thrown there without transition or reason. As for the paragraph about his parents, it's heavy and unnecessary in your blurb.

In blurb, you're allowed to say that Little Wolf is guided by his Wolf Spirit and that he is a werewolf without explaining from where or why. People will want to know and will read your story to find out. That said, it's a freaking lot of "wolf" gor a single man and it feels heavy to me. I got it, it's a werewolf story. No need to rub my face with it.