CHAPTER 8 ~ THE STORM

Nawab of Oudh,                                                                                                                                                                Amir Ali.

                           This is to inform you about your extreme privilege that has chanced you to get into a subsidiary alliance with the English East India Company in accordance to the new applied law passed by Her Majesty Queen Victoria. According to this law the Indian state entering the alliance need not worry for its safety because the Company promises that. The company would help the state at the time of its emergency that includes controlling situations of internal disorder and external attack. But for the same the Indian ruler needs to accept the terms and clauses are mentioned in the upcoming lines : 

                                - the Indian ruler entering into a subsidiary alliance with the British would have  to accept the British troops in their territory and pay for their maintenance.                                                       - the ruler would accept a British Resident in his state.                                                                                 - the ruler would not enter into any alliance with any other foreign power without the consent of the British.                                                                                                                                                           - the ruler would accept the British as the paramount power of Hindustan.                                     - if the ruler fails to make the payment a part of his territory would be seized.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      - Indian rulers have to maintain British troops in their state.   

Sir Edward Law,

Governor - General of Hindustan.                                                                        

"Is the letter fine for you, Miss Mahashweta Devi?", asked the Governor of Hindustan.

"Oh that's perfect for me. The nawab loved my descent, I think he will love my rise even more.", Mahashweta was quick to retort.

"So I'll send this letter to the nawab and inform you what follows. You may now wish to leave.".

"I'll be waiting for your information.", saying so Mahashweta walked off the Company headquarters covering her face with a veil so that no one recognizes her.

A mess of beautiful contradictions make her whole, she wears fire for skin but a storm lives in her soul. 

A storm awaits the palace. A mayhem soon to begin.