Chapter 33: No More Deceptions & Secrets (T version)

Start from the beginning

"Marlene, there is Sarah by the bathrooms. Didn't you need to talk to about that side babysitting gig?" Uri asks in between cake bites.

"Yes! I'll be right back, good eye babe," she calls over her shoulder as she sprints towards the bathrooms.

"Now that we are alone..." he starts, watching me with concern. "I'm worried about you, Tris. Just like Zeke is worried about Four. My brother told me that Four is really upset as well."

I fight to remain calm as Uriah goes on to give me relationship advice. I can't tell him, where would I even begin? Not to mention, as much as I love Uriah I also know that he is terrible at keeping a secret. I love Four, but I only have the bandwidth to concentrate on Evelyn Johnson at the moment.

"Tris? Jeez, are you even listening to me?" Uriah sighs heavily. "Look Tris, you don't have to say anything. I can see you are really messed up because of your issues with Four. Just know, I am your friend and here if you need to talk."

I don't correct him; I allow him to run with his theory. Little does he know that my world is crumbling around me.

And my time is running out.

++o++

Walking through the halls I stop at a water fountain to fill my water bottle. I wait quietly while a woman and her two children are finishing up in front of me.

"Mommy, when is my daddy coming home from working the fence?!" the little boy asks. I would guess he is about five or four years old. The woman is balancing an infant on her hip while trying to close her water bottle.

"Jon, your daddy will be home in three more bedtimes. We talked about it this morning. I know you miss him, we all do. Just like he misses us too when he has to work," the woman answers while shooting me an apologetic smile as she pulls a second water bottle that needs to be filled.

I smile to let her know that it is not a problem.

"Okaaay. Baby Millie is so lucky, she's so little. Babies don't even miss people when they are not around," the little boy pouts while playing with her sister's little shoeless-foot.

My eyes widen, for the first time realizing an awful truth. The woman only confirming my horror as she explains to her son that although babies can't speak, they are people and have real feelings. She assures her son that his little sister does miss their daddy when he is away. She reminds him how "Millie's" eyes lights up every time he gets home from school.

I can't take another moment. I quickly turn and walk away, tears filling my eyes. All this time, I have agonized about my feelings over losing Natty. I was a fool to not realize how my baby will suffer when I am suddenly gone. She will never understand, nor be old enough to ask or comprehend an explanation. I know my daughter will miss me, she has always known me as her mother.

My heart is breaking as I blink to dry my tears, head down as I walk away. Turning the corner I almost bump into a couple that is embraced in a heated kiss. Scowling, I wonder why on earth a pair would feel the need to suck face while standing in front of the Dauntless Tattoo Parlour. As I step around them I look up for the first time to see that it is none other than Christina in this passionate embrace. And it is not Will that she has her arms wrapped around!

Rolling my eyes I increase my speed as I stomp away.

"Tris?" Christina calls my name.

I decide to keep walking, I have nothing to say to her right now. Moments later I feel her hand on my arm. "Tris! Didn't you hear me calling you?!"

Sighing loudly I pull my arm away. "Chris, you looked pretty busy and I need to get back to work."

Looking concerned she places her hand gently on my shoulder, "Tris, what's wrong?"