Part Six: Just An Attention Seeker

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

-John Wooden

Word count: 409

PART SIX: JUST AN ATTENTION SEEKER 

The day I admit my career was over would be the day Wesley brought his gun to school. As the school security guard, it's my job to make sure everybody stays safe.

I overheard one of the teachers talking to our head counselor, and only snippets of their conversation were heard from my office. I can't recall what happened exactly, but I remember hearing her say Wesely just wanted attention. I never found out what all of the suspicion was about, but I was determined not to let that happen again.

I pulled myself together before knocking on the superintendent's door. A faint 'come in' was heard before i swung the door open with a squeak.

"What's up?" Mr. Webster says while typing on his laptop. "I have a meeting in 15, can you finish by 7:55?

"Yeah," I say fidgeting "It has to do with the ya know incident." I look at the ground and avoid his questioning eyes.

"Go on with it then..." He demands, finally looking up from his keyboard.

"Well..." Go on ,jamie, just like you practiced. "I don't want to be a snitch- so to speak- but I overheard a conversation between two staff members, before the 'event' took place. One of them was saying to the other, 'He's probably reaching for attention' and the person responded 'He wrote an essay about how he admires a School Shooter! Don't you understand?'"

"Do you know their names?" Mr. Webster asks- an unidentifiable emotion filled his eyes, almost like melancholy and anger all at once. "I need their names Jameson."

"Well I know one person's..." I say keeping my eyes trained on his pencil cup. "It was Mrs. Benschoff and a male teacher, he was talking about an essay so-"

"Thank you, you may leave." He says turning back to his email. The only indication that any of this actually mattered to him was his now aggressive typing.

"Thank you, sir," I stand up and wince at the sound of my chair scraping against the tiled floor. "And Xavier posted his note on Facebook, it's gone viral- if you wanted to read it. I know y'all were close..." I shut the door, as soft as I could, and went back to my office.

_____________________

AN: Super short so expect an update tomorrow. Only 4 more chapters :(