Chapter 7 - I Have a Type

Start from the beginning

Stopping near Lena, Maggie stared down at the younger woman and said, "You wear glasses."

"That sort of keen observation must be why you're a detective," Lena stated, her voice monotone as she didn't break sight of her computer screen and didn't slow in her typing.

"I didn't know you wore glasses."

"You do now."

Maggie sighed. "Are you pissed at me?"

"Did you know?"

"Not about the glasses, but we've already established that, so I take it you mean Kara. Yeah, I knew, but nobody told me either. I worked with her and Alex, and they kept me out of the loop too. I had to figure it out for myself."

Fingers frozen at that admittance, Lena looked up. "No one told you?"

"Can I pull up a seat?"

After a moment of considering, Lena nodded.

Maggie sat, pulling out a food container, checking the contents, and handing it over to Lena with utensils, and then doing the same for herself. "Yeah, no one told me. I'm a detective though. If you spend any time around the two of them, I mean around Kara as both herself and as Supergirl, it's pretty easy to figure out. I was dating Alex and working with Supergirl, so I got to see both sides of her. Anyone smart who knows them both and wants to know the truth, they know the truth. So, the real question is, why didn't you want to know the truth?"

Looking up from her food, Lena replied, "Who said I didn't want to know the truth?"

"Lena." Maggie smiled until her dimples flashed. "You are too smart and too observant not to know Kara was Supergirl unless you didn't want to know. You didn't want it to be her. If it were her, if your best friend was Supergirl and was keeping that from you, then what did that mean?"

Pushing the laptop to the side, Lena put her food on the table. She studied her hands. "Is that what her cousin did to Lex? He did, didn't he?" Looking up at Maggie, Lena added, "It's all right. I know you can't tell me that. I didn't sleep at all last night. I kept thinking through every interaction going back to the day I first met Kara. I'm not asking you to tell me who Superman is, but do you know who he is?"

"I..." Maggie hesitated before continuing. "I do."

"Thank you. He's Clark Kent," Lena said assuredly. "I didn't want to say that in case you didn't know, and I'm not asking you to confirm or deny anything. Looking back on it, on the day the two of them came into my office to ask me about the explosion on the Venture, it seems so obvious now. They had their matching glasses, matching smiles, matching blue eyes, and matching belief in truth, justice, blah, blah, blah. The next time I saw Kara alone, not Supergirl, Kara, she told she flew there on a bus."

"She did not."

"She most certainly did."

"Maybe she was subconsciously trying to tell you something." Maggie held out her food container. "Sweet potato fry?"

Lena held out a hand and shook her head. "I don't think so, not that early, but she definitely got sloppier with her excuses for canceled plans the longer we knew each other, and I always let things go. You're right though. I didn't want my friend to be Supergirl lying to me about her identity. I just wanted her to be...Kara. Why can't she just be Kara?"

"She still is, you know."

"Zor-El, last daughter of Krypton. That doesn't sound pretentious."

"That's coming from Lena Luthor, genius heiress to the Luthor fortune."