86. I made my decision

It was early Sunday morning and Draco was watching his witch sleep peacefully next to him. A relaxed expression was lying over her face and she didn't seem to have a care in the world. She wouldn't have, if he at all could help it. He would make sure that there was nothing ever missing from her life from now on. He would always be there to love and cherish her. He would make sure there was always a roof over her head and enough food to eat on the table. His son would grow up with parents that loved him dearly and didn't care which house he would be in once he started school.

He sighed. His fingers were brushing lovingly over Hermione's hair. His gaze fell onto his son. He was cradled securely in his father's arm and was trying to observe his surroundings. His eyes weren't quite able to focus too far, but he seemed intend on finding out what was lying behind the blur he knew to be his father's face. A presence was feeling for Draco's mind a moment later who instantly recognised it as his offspring's. There was the warm feeling of security and contentment washing over the wizard.

'I love you, my son, I love you.'

The presence vanished again.

There was a slight knock on the door and a moment later strange face appeared. Draco had his wand out before he was even aware of what he had been doing.

"Woaw, mate, careful with that." a familiar voice muttered.

"Blaise? Is that you?"

The stranger entered and carefully closed the door.

"What do you think? Of course it's me."

Both wizards were looking at the other. One was wondering why the masquerade while the other hoped he was able to pull off what he tried to pull off.

"I thought you were gone." Draco enquired as he finally put his wand away. He was a bit puzzled as he was sure he had overheard Ginny telling Harry his best mate had said his final goodbye to her the day before.

"I am." there was something hesitant in Blaise's behaviour.

"And why exactly can I see you here, right in front of me?"

Well, maybe not Blaise as such, but a modified version of him.

"I needed to talk to you first."

They both knew that the dark skinned wizard needed to make a final decision in regards to the girl slowly stealing his sanity.

"I will not go and look for her. I will do my best to keep out off her way. I just need you to know what I'm going to look like when I'm attending official family functions in order for you to recognise me."

A questioning frown could be observed to be forming on the pale face looking at the unexpected visitor.

"As you can see, I've altered my appearance. I'll be doing it anytime I'll meet you and your family. That way I can be part of what's happening, but still keeping my promise to Ginny that she wouldn't see me again. She'll see some wizard she hasn't met before."

"Blaise?"

"Hm?"

"That is insane."

"It's the only way I can keep my promise to her."

"What exactly have you promised her?"

"That she's not going to see me again. Which is going to be true as she's going to meet some distant relative of yours, but she won't see me."

"Right..."

It was obvious what Draco thought about this latest attempt of his friend to get to grips with his feelings.

"Who are you going to be then?" he asked.

"I'll be Ben. A distant cousin from your mother's side. I've been living abroad until now, but my grandmother has left me a flat in England and I've come to see what to do with it. I'll stay with the Lightnings which will be my reason for staying around permanently and..."

There was a longing in Blaise's eyes Draco had never seen before. Well, not before his best friend hadn't fallen for the Weasley girl in any case.

"And you're sure you can pull that of?"

"I'll do my best, mate, I'll do my best."

They were silent for a while.

"Can I hold him?" Blaise suddenly asked.

"Sure."

The sleeping baby was carefully handed over.

"What does it feel like?"

"What do you mean?"

"To know that this small human is actually part of you, that there's your magic running through his veins, that he'll be taking his place at the helm of the Malfoy family one day."

"Amazing."

"You think you'll have any more?"

Without a word Draco stood up, pulled his shirt from his trousers and pulled the material up at the back. Then he turned.

"What's that? Mate, I didn't know you had a tattoo."