83. "You're a smart bird, aren't you?"

Friday saw Hermione and Draco visiting Hermione's parents for tea. It was a pleasant affair with a lot of delicious tea and a wonderfully sumptuous home made chocolate cake. Draco and Hermione were talking about spending the holidays in their house in Edinburgh so that the Grangers would be able to see their grandson often. Mrs. Granger was still expressing the sentiment of hoping for a girl, but Draco told her that it would be a boy. Though, the question as to how he knew he wasn't really answering. Instead he was just mumbling. His wife explained it to be the genetic make-up of the Malfoy family that took care of the first born child always being a boy. The soon to be grandmother didn't look to convinced. Genetics were never set in stone so there was hope for a girl after all.

It had been halfway through the afternoon that Hermione excused herself and went to the loo. She arrived back after what seemed a rather long time. But neither her parents nor Draco thought anything of it. It was only later that he noted his witch grimace ever now and then, though trying her best to hide it. She was still part of the conversation, at least to an extend. Something seemed to have happened and she didn't want anybody to know, that much was clear. What could have happened though?

He tried to look at the clock on the wall when ever she tried her best to suppress whatever happened to her. It was about every five minutes. Somewhere in the back of his mind alarm bells were starting to ring. It was more a feeling than real knowing, but what Hermione was hiding clearly needed to be taken care of.

He sought her eye and when she finally looked at him his worst fear was confirmed. She was in pain and pain coming in more or less regular intervals could mean only one thing, she had gone into labour. Taking a few slow breath he steeled himself for what he was about to do. She wouldn't want to go to the hospital, but he would make sure she did. He was not going to take any chances. It was too early for their son to be born. There was at least another month to go yet.

He switched chairs to sit on the couch next to her. Draping his arm around her shoulder in a seemingly simple show of affection he whispered into her ear, "We're going to get you to St. Mungo's."

To his astonishment she didn't protest. She had to be in serious pain, if she wasn't even arguing with him.

"I think, it's time for Hermione to have a bit of a rest." Draco said, trying not to let on what was really happening.

But Mrs. Granger had already caught on. She was stepping beside her daughter and the look on her face was that of love and concern. Mr. Granger's face showed only slight confusion. Moments later it finally dawned on him as well.

"I'll call an ambulance." he said, getting up from his chair.

"No!" Draco close to shouted.

His father-in-law looked at him.

"No, I'll take her to the hospital, our hospital."

"But St. John's is only fifteen minutes away. It's..."

"...a Muggle place. I'll not risk the life of my wife or child in a Muggle hospital."

The only wizard present got up and turned to his wife.

"I'll take care of you, Lea. Don't worry." his hand gently caressed her face.

Somehow all nervousness, all uncertainty and fear had fallen away from him. Draco was cool and in control. He would make sure his wife got to the place he knew was safe for her to give birth at. He would watch over her. The past with its memories might scare him witless, but he wouldn't abandon her. He would be by her side whatever the cost. If she wanted him to be there with her, he would be.

Carefully he scooped her of the couch and walked over to the fireplace. It was neither wide nor high enough for him floo them both together to the magical hospital. He would need to apparate them. The book had stated that apparition should be avoided if at all possible in the last months of pregnancy, but it couldn't be helped. There wasn't time to get back to their own house in Edinburgh in order to use the hearth there.

Hermione held on to her husband with all the strength left to her. Hiding the incredible pain making her want to scream had taken most of her strength. She was drained. Her father kissed her forehead gently. Her mother's face told her that they would be following as soon as they could.

Draco was about to apparate when he heard John Granger whisper, "Take good care of my girl."

"I will" the younger man said solemnly, "Don't worry, I will."

He spun and vanished moments later.

"Why didn't she say anything, Maggie?" Mr. Granger embraced his wife.

"I don't know, John. Maybe this is the one time were the knowledge out off a book isn't enough to prepare for the real life after all." his wife answered.