9

My English teacher has a catchphrase. It's one you're not aware of unless you engage in conversation with her. That no matter how bad the day is, no matter how dark, boring, discontent, and painful it is, we are always thriving. As Marli would put it, we're all "living and thriving." In other words, we're living and growing vigorously. We grow as people. We grow more smart, resilient, humble, and loving. We grow more aware of our surroundings. We grow more resilient to the pain, to the darkness, to the sadness. We're all living and thriving.

Until we're not.

Cassie agreed to babysit the kids for Amelia, Maggie, and Meredith's dinner party. It would be fun, Maggie had said. She would keep the kids occupied upstairs and also get some of whatever food they were cooking. It was a win win. Cassie also got to see her favorite doctors, who had all adopted her as their niece and extended family. And yes, Cassie was in love with the whole lot of them, even if she didn't know them that well yet.

All of the doctors from the hospital flowed in through the door over the course of the hour. For the first part, Cassie had sat in the kitchen while Zola and Bailey played in the living room and Ellis took her nap. Arizona was getting drunk over meeting Callie's new girlfriend, and Meredith was running around making sure everything was perfect.

"Did you get the steak?" Meredith asked Alex. Alex rolled his eyes.

"Yes. I did. I also got everything else, thanks for asking."

"I think it would have been easier to order pizza." Meredith replied for what seemed like the thousandth time.

"Here, start cutting. Not too thin, not too thick." April dropped a stack of carrots and a knife in front of Cassie. She began to cut, watching Meredith and Alex argue like an old married couple. She knew they were just best friends, but sometimes Cassie thought they just made the whole McDreamy thing up and had gotten hitched. Although because she had seen the pictures of McDreamy throughout the house, she knew he had been real.

The doorbell rang, and eagerly attempting to get away from drunk Arizona, chef April, and modern housewives Alex and Meredith, Cassie mumbled that she would go get the door. She saw Jo and Stephanie giving glares to each other across the room, and Amelia was sitting with the kids, who were in perfect oblivion to what was going on around them.

Cassie peeped through the hole and saw Callie with another lady. This must be the reason for Arizona's drunken state. She opened it, forming a nervous smile on her face. "Hi Callie."

Callie flashed her thousand watt smile. "Hey Cass. This is Penny." The lady, who looked about ten times more nervous than Cassie did standing in her own house, smiled back. Cassie ushered them inside, taking their coats and putting them onto the couch. Meredith had come by to say hello, and by the time Cassie had come back Mer looked as though she was a deer in the headlights. She looked traumatized.

For a moment, Cassie debated whether or not she should ask Meredith what was wrong. It wasn't like she was going to tell her anyways. She knew that's how Meredith was. It was like throwing rocks at a brick wall. She knew her aunt had feelings, but she didn't like to show them. Walking towards the kitchen, she decided to tell Alex instead.

Jo glared at her jokingly as she walked in, looking up from the cutting of carrots she had been assigned to do. "I had to take your job. I don't think we can be friends anymore."

Ignoring her, she walked up to Alex, who had been leaning against the fridge with a drink in his hand. Clearing her throat, she stood on her tippy toes and whispered in his ear. "Something's wrong with Mer. You're her person, do something about it." He looked over at her, giving a nod. His face had turned to one of concern. Putting his wine glass down, he clomped into the other room.