Gift

The days following their kiss had been quiet for the most part. The run for more medicine, which everyone at the prison was in desperate need of, had been a success, and they had even been able to ward off some of the coughing bouts in C-Block.

Whatever they were had been quiet too. Daryl still shared small smiles with her, and now more than ever the occasional touch to her elbow, or the tips of his fingers lingering on her shoulder, and several times more they had kissed, although a peck on the lips stolen under the cover of night wasn't exactly what she imagined. She figured one of the guys had said something, or whoever was on guard had seen them tat day by the fence, maybe scared him way.

So when he showed up at the door to her cell, eyes downcast and hair flopping in his face, Carol couldn't help the smile that broke out on her lips.

She climbs quickly out of bed to meet him with a soft, "Hey," which makes him smile.

"Gotcha somethin'," he hums in reply, fishing around in his pocket for something.

The prospect of him getting her a gift sets her cheeks afire and makes her heart thrum. No one had ever really gotten her a gift before, certainly not Ed. It makes her eyes sting and she forces a smile, looking up at him. "You-" she swallows a little, "you didn't have to do that."

Now it's Daryl's turn to blush and he shuffles his feet, some unruly strands of brown hair flopping in his eyes. "I know," he shrugs, "but I wanted to." He holds his hand out to her, unrolling his fingers to reveal a small, pale green stone with a leather chord run through it. "It, uh, it's jasper. S'posed ta mean good health or somethin'. Figured this way, 'f I ain't around I can count on something ta keep ya safe."

The tears that had been pooling in Carol's eyes spill over, rolling down down her cheeks. She reaches up to quickly dash him away and his eyes widen. "Shit- I- I didn't mean ta make ya cry- I just-"

She shakes her head quickly and throws her arms around his neck, not caring for the moment who gives a damn. "No, no! It's beautiful. I just- no one' sever given me a gift before." She whispers, leaning her cheek on Daryl's shoulder.

She hears a snort from him and his arms tighten around her waist. "Bout damn time then."