19| The Wedding

AS MUCH AS I hated to admit it, the wedding was beautiful. From the extravagant decorations and my mom's appearance, to the classical music in the background and the guests that looked almost as stunning as the bride. It was near perfect. Only thing stopping it from full perfection was the groom.

He was not in a good mood. I could tell as he did not smile until someone would approach him, and even then, it would be the fakest smile I have ever seen. A tiny piece of me tried to defend him, arguing that he was just nervous. It was a big crowd after all, and most of the attendees were from my mom's side of the family. However, he just seemed off. The energy around him was unpleasant and gray. I wondered if he and my mom had a disagreement recently.

I sat at a table with my grandparents and two of my mom's best friends. There was an empty seat beside me, and I watched the glass doors leading to the foyer, waiting for her to appear. I wasn't expecting anyone else, seeing as Dylan couldn't make it anymore as he had the flu.

While I was distracted by Wiley running around the dance floor with our cousins, she finally arrived. She walked into the hall wearing an entirely black suit, the flaps of the blazer a glistening satin. She looked breathtakingly beautiful, and very human. Maybe tonight I would be able to fully shake off what she really was.

Her eyes slowly looked around the room until they landed on me, where I sat to the side of the dance floor, closest to the wall. She smiles at me with her lips that were painted with a deep red color, so red that it almost looked black.

"Did you really, for once, leave me completely alone to get ready?" I said as she sat down beside me.

"I thought being late was the most human thing I could do." She said so that only I could hear her on the table. I had to laugh at that.

"Introduce us," my grandmother said. Right, I forgot.

"This is Ruby, she's my friend." It felt extremely strange to say those words.

As everyone on the table began to get to know Ruby, who seemed to have had her responses planned out, I noticed Will kiss my mom's head and mutter something before walking off towards the foyer. He pulled out his phone along the way, and he had a sour look on his face.

Ruby cleared her throat before causally throwing her arm around my chair, catching my attention.

"You okay?" She asked discretely.

"Yeah," I replied, slightly caught off guard by her concern.

As the night progressed, I counted the amount of times that Will left the hall, only to come back fifteen minutes later. Every time, my mom would look slightly more irritated, and I had a sick feeling in my stomach that wouldn't go away.

The lights dimmed out and were replaced with fluorescent colours that covered the dance floor. Music that you could actually dance to started playing, and people rushed over to start dancing.

"I would ask you to dance, but I don't think you want to either." I said.

She chuckled. "Yeah, it's really not my thing."

"Looks like we have something in common after all."

Ruby smiled against the rim of the wine glass. No one seemed to care that she was 'underage' and drinking here, which meant that I could also down a few glasses.