13| Knowing

A/N

To the person that commented (and deleted before I could reply) "um is no one going to question her sexuality lol" Answer is no, because it's not a big deal. None of these characters care whether Arlo is gay or not.

💗 Cambry

"MOM?" I SAID warily as I walked through the front door hours later. Just as I had expected, my mom was sat in the living room, waiting for me. She was fast asleep, her legs crossed and her arm tucked underneath her chin.

Ruby walked by me, right towards her, though I didn't worry. I watched as in a flash, she got a mint green blanket from the closet and brought it back. I was caught off guard by the speed, and I still couldn't believe it was possible.

As she lay the blanket over my mom, I went upstairs to check her bedroom. The door was wide open, and I realized that Will was nowhere to be seen.

"Your mom called off the engagement." Ruby said from behind. I gasped at her sudden appearance, before turning around.

"What?"

Ruby stared blankly ahead, as if watching something in her head.

"He left angry." She added.

"Arlo?" I heard the tiny voice of my brother's and quickly turned around again. Wiley was stood in the doorway to his bedroom, his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pyjamas on and his blonde locks disheveled.

I glanced behind me only to find that Ruby had disappeared.

"Hey," I walked towards him, gently grabbing his hands and pulling him into his room, "go back to sleep." I whispered.

"Are you running away forever?" He asked, causing my heart to burst.

"Of course not, I could never leave you." I pulled him into me, his head against my stomach.

"Can you sleep with me tonight?"

"Sure." I pulled the blankets off his bed and let him get in first. Then I followed, turning to my side so that there was more room on the kids-sized bed and pulled the blanket over us.

"Good night," he whispered. I kissed the top of his head.

"Good night."

I woke up hours later, still in the same position, to the sound of chatter coming from the room next door.

I stayed still, listening closely, one hand slowly running through Wiley's hair. It was damp, like he had been sweating all night. He must not have taken yesterday well. He shouldn't experience that sort of stress at his age.

"She's not getting her own way, I don't care anymore. She's being selfish." I vaguely heard. Will responded, though I couldn't make out what he was saying.

I sighed, disappointed. When Ruby told me that my mom had called off the engagement, I felt relieved. I guess it was too good to be true after all.

I get out of bed, knowing that I had to go to school today. I realized that I would much rather be there, despite the circumstances, than be here with Will.

I got ready silently, mom and Will still in their bedroom talking about me. I was walking today, I decided.

I didn't flinch when Ruby appeared by my side, walking with me.

"School doesn't start for another two hours." She said.

"I'm not letting them send me away again." I said, my expression hard. "They can try all they want. I'm not going."

Ruby didn't say anything, and we walked in silence for a little while. I glanced at her, realizing that she had a backpack on as well.

"You're actually going to school today?" I smiled. I found it kinda funny how after two hundred years, she still went to school.

"I like to keep myself busy." She said.

"When did you start going to school? I mean, I don't really know much about the 1800s, but-"

"I started in a different country in 1966, then I stopped for a while, moved again, and then I went back in 1999. And now I'm here."

It gave me chills, the fact that she had been alive for two centuries. She saw the world change in ways that no one else did.

"Didn't they have school in the 1800s?" I asked, curious.

"Actually, I went to ballet school instead. Started when I was six."

"Oh," I said, surprised. I found that so cool, but the look on her face told me that it wasn't.

"The 1800s were harsh. Really harsh." She said. I wondered why she felt that way. What happened to her?

"Are there others?" I asked after a long silence.

She shrugged. "Haven't come across one in seventy years."

"I still don't get it. How is this all possible?" If vampires existed, then I wondered what else existed. Werewolves? Mermaids?

"I don't know about those," she said with a smile, "but I can assure you, vampires are real."

I found myself smiling, until I thought, since when did we get along? I still didn't like that she killed, and I didn't like that she had tied me up and left me to die.

I picked up my pace, now walking ahead of her.

"Arlo-"

I turned around, walking backwards. "Look, if you're going to follow me for the rest of my life, at least give me some space." I said before turning around again. She was appearing an awful lot lately, and I kinda wished she didn't.

I let out a hefty sigh, feeling slightly bad until I remembered who she was and what she did.

From the corner of my eye I saw a red sports car pull over next to me. I thought nothing of it and continue walking, until I heard my name being called.

I stopped walking and turned around, surprised to see Dylan in the drivers seat, window rolled down and arm resting against the door.

"What are you doing up early?" I said as I approached him.

"Thought I'd go for a drive before school, maybe come across Evan." He said. He was grinning, but I could see right through it. He was worried.

The sick feeling I had in my stomach must have shown on my face, because in one second his smile dropped and he was frowning instead.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah," my voice was rocky, "it's just a sad situation, that's all." I said quietly.

"Yeah, I know." He tapped his hand on the car door before nudging his head towards the passenger side of the car. "Hop in."

"Oh, no, it's okay."

He beeped at me, causing me to jump. "Come on," he said, a lazy smile plastered on his face.

I couldn't help but give in. "Alright." I said, with the knowing that there was nothing to find.