Chapter 9

The guidance counselor, a short young woman with an high-pitched, nasally voice, sat in front of Jason, Peter and me in her office. Peter sat on my right and Jason on my left,  as the woman sat in front of us. She huffed and tucked a thin strand of hair behind her ear.

   "To those of you who are not aware, I am Mrs. Clearwater. But I know who you are," she turned to look at me with a subtle smirk and approving nod, "impressive application by the way."

I just smiled a polite, closed mouth smile and turned to look at Peter. His hands gripped onto the arms of the chair and his hair was all messed up. He never looked so attractive.

"Ms. Jackson, can you please explain what happened."

"Umm sure. I was walking in the hallway, when I heard something bang against a locker. I turned to find Jason threatening my friend Ned about me and Peter. I told Jason he was not my boyfriend," I felt my cheeks warming as I continued, "and Jason threatened me as well. He then swung his arm to punch me but Peter blocked it."

Peter looked at me and smiled crookedly. Jason on the other hand, glared at me as a vein pulsed in his forehead.

"And then Parker flipped me and punched me," Jason interrupted

"You swung at me, so that is the why I punched you!" Peter argued back.

Mrs. Clearwater stood up. "Enough! Mr. Cooper, come with me to the principal's office. Threatening a student is no laughing matter. And Mr. Parker, you will have two days of detention. I would have given you more if you had not saved Ms. Jackson."

The same moment Peter thanked her, Jason loudly complained that the whole situation was unfair and that HE was the victim.

Peter and I walked out together while Jason and Mrs. Clearwater stayed behind.  As soon as we were far enough away from  the full metal door that gave way to her office, I wrapped him in a hug. My nose was overcome with the  clean scent of pine. He hugged me back, and I could feel his muscles tense around me.

"Thank you. You saved me," I whispered into his ear.

I felt his cheeks heat up. "Anything for you Mia. Thank you for giving me the strength to stand up to him."

I pulled away and grabbed his arms. "Really, I mean it. That is the nicest thing anyone has done for me."

All of a sudden I felt as if a tight rubber band held us together, and it pulled us closer and closer. Just as my lips were just inches away from his, the last bell rang, and students began to flood the hallways. The rubber band snapped and we both jerked away.

I ran my hand through my hair awkwardly. "I'm going to talk to my uhh classmates to see what I missed."

Peter's cheeks were the color of ripe strawberries. "Yeah, me t..too" He began taking long strides backward.

"See you later," I managed to stutter out, even though it sounded like a question. I turned around and heard a faint, "see you," behind me.

After I got far enough, I whipped out my phone and texted Michelle.

Me: OMG you will not BELIEVE what happened
Michelle😈💕: can U tell meeeee
Me: Not over text
Michelle😈💕: ok I'm coming over

I managed to find some of my peers and get the homework and notes that I missed. But most of the talking sounded muffled, as if I was underwater.

The only though in my head was...Peter, Kiss,Peter,Kiss,Peter, Kiss.

I immediately felt self conscious. Was I the only one leaning in? Did he want to kiss me? Do I want to kiss him? What if he likes me? What if he thinks I like him? Do I like him?

A wave of dizziness crashed over me, along with the intense need to sit down. I also felt a longing, a strange, sort of ravenous longing. For what, I don't know. Even though I hate being needy,l knew that I needed something.

I needed Michelle, stat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Holy crap! And then you just left?"

Michelle looked at me with eyes the size of saucers.

"Yeah. What else was I supposed to do?" I was scared, confused, and a little bit giddy.

"Do you like him? Like "like" like him?"

I cracked my fingers, like I always do when I'm nervous.

"I have no idea. Maybe. I know that I wanted to kiss him."

" Yeah, you have it bad! You have to tell him."

"No way! He should approach me."

"Whatever you want grandma."

The truth was that I wanted, more than anything to let him know THE truth. But the fear of humiliating myself, or worse, ruining our friendship, blocked that.

I had no idea what to do. And tommorow we were meeting after school to practice our presentation.

Well that's lovely.

A/N: Hi guys! So I have been wanting to write Peter's take on the whole "event". What do you think? Should I do it??