Chapter One

Chapter One:

Testing the waters...

"Water can be deadly,But it can be beautiful as well

But it can be beautiful as well...

What a wonderful thing...."

-Unknown

I woke up to the salty breeze through my curtains. I smiled and stretched my arms, along with my white, and turquiose wings. Now as you already know, my mother was a mystery to me. Well a mystery to most she left me as a babe. With nothing but my blood to keep me safe. I hoped to keep what I was a secret, but too few scholars they know what I am. They called me a dragonkin, strange isn't it? A drgaon mixed with fae blood created a new being, as if a new race had popped out of nowhere.

I sat up and placed my feet on the cold marble tiled floor, I ran a tan hand through my deep brown wavy hair. I was not the dark skin that everyone else was here, I was only a regular golden tan. Still pale looking at the others that lived here though. I stood up and made my wings vanish as I had to hide them. I rolled my shoulders and frowned, while I loved having my wings out. I would be in danger if I did so.

I walked to my open terrace, the white see-through curtains flapping in the warm morning wind. I placed my hands on the tan stone railing and breathed in the intoxicating salty air. It was so calming, if I could stay here for the whole day I would. I opened my sea blue eyes and ran a hand over the smooth railing, savoring the warm the stone had.

"Having trouble sleeping?"

I spun on my heel to see my loving adoptive mother Darcy, her dark skin made her white hair stand out even more her brown eyes shone with age and wisdom. She wore a deep turquoise shawl and a white dress, she had a wooden cane with a gold top with a sky blue gem worn down from her touch.

"No, I just woke up to the breeze mother," I told her smiling.

She chuckled and walked towards me saying, "You always woke with the wind, it calls to you child."

I looked to her as she stood on my right and asked her curiously, "What does that mean mother?"

She smiled as a breeze past us and answered me, "You'll find out soon, now. We are having guests tonight."

I sighed, another wonderful surprise from my mother, and asked, "Who would that be?"

She smiled and said, "The High Lord and Lady of the Night Court."

I almost exploded, how could she keep such a thing from me? I live here too, I pay for the house! It not like I already had enough on my plate, I have to translate an ancient langugae for Tarquin, as well as make sure my assistants were doing there jobs, and  I make sure my mother's medication is set and ready for her. Along with Hybern casting their men to our shores, I was too busy as it was.