Ch 1: Part 2: Black Box

The sun was already gone when I finally entered my shack. I set the paper bag onto the floor before I started to turn back into my human form. The pain started in my back legs before spreading up throughout my entire body. Bones ad sinew expanded or shrunk, rearranging themselves as needed until I stood up on two legs again. I grunted a little, blinking my eyes slowly and stretching as I got used to being in my human form.

I suppose I should explain why it feels wonderful to turn into a wolf, but it's extremely painful to return to human form. In the begining (and I don't mean the begining of time) the Moon Goddess came down to Earth looking for a protector. She looked at all the beasts of the world, searching for one that she found acceptable. As she searched, she found a beautiful, yet fierce white wolf. He was a loner, having been rejected by all the packs and forced to hunt and survive on his own.

When she came across him he was in the middle of a hunt. The deer he had been trailing all day noticed her presence and bounded away. He whined in frustration and began growling at the Goddess for scaring his prey off. He was very hungry and hadn't eaten in days, which made him quite irritable. Since she was the Moon Goddess, it was natural for her to understand what he said when he growled at her. In response to his angry growls, she waved her hand and the deer he had been hunting walked out from behind a nearby cluster of trees. Upon seeing his prey, the great white wolf lunged and ripped out the deer's throat. The wolf then fed, filling his belly with the fresh meat that the Goddess had given him. When he was finished and had cleaned his muzzle, she spoke to him and made him an offer.

"You are truly a proud, beautiful creature, and because of your beauty and strength, I will make you an offer. Take this power I grant you and become my protector. In exchange, you will never go hungry again and your children and your children's children will become great hunters and fighters," she whispered to him. "You are free to refuse, but know that if you do, I will not make this offer again."

The white wolf paced back and forth in front of the great Moon Goddess, thinking about the offer she had given him. Finally, he stopped and howled his reply. The Goddess smiled and waved her hand over him, making the white wolf begin to shake in pain as his body changed and morphed into that of something else. When the change was complete, he lay shaking on the ground in agony, his human body naked and cold as he cried into the dirt with the pain of the change and the loss of his old body.

"I have given you the ability to turn into this new form, allowing you to walk upright and protect me without raising mortals' attention," she said while waving one of her hands at the deer he had slain, changing its skin into a pair of leather pants for him to wear. "You will still be able to turn back into a wolf, as will your descendents, but to change into a human will always be painful. This pain isn't meant to scare you, but to remind you that you weren't always human."

After the transition from my wolf form into my human form was done, I grabbed the paper bag and layed down in my bed. Not bothering to get dressed, I dug around in the bag to pull out the CD player and the first CD. I looked at the name of the CD, Demon Days. Interesting name, since I remember in the books I use to read werewolves were considered demons. After popping the CD into the player, I put the worn-out headphones that came with it on and started skipping through the songs. One song, Feel Good Inc., caught my attention, so I put it on repeat and fell asleep listening to it. 

_______________________________________________

So Shout-Out Time! Thanks Winnie For Pointing Out Errors In Part One! Yet Again, Thanks Bro For Being My Editor! Please Don't Forget To Follow Me For Updates. Also Tell Me If You Notice Any Errors!