Twenty-Three

i know im dead on this site but the fact that this story is like 3-4 parts away from being completed is bugging me enough to write them and post them RIGHT NOW AFTER TWO YEARS and finally finish something in my life hello to all 2.5 people reading this go reread this if you have/want to:))))

*

         From: Ashton

         I'm sorry I left like an asshole. Will call you later

*

         I stir awake, so suddenly that I immediately sit up in my bed; I'm already out of breath because of the frightening sound of my phone ringing, and reach out for it in the dark, following the deafening music and the lit up screen through squinted eyes. I'm already cursing out the person, whoever they are, calling me at three in the morn-

         With widened eyes I drop my phone on the carpeted floor again, rushing up to turn the light on before answering the call. I have no time to check my face or hair, but I'm pretty sure he won't mind.

         Took him long enough to call me up, anyway.

         "...Hey."

         "Hi." his face is blurry at the beginning of the call, but a few seconds into it I recognize his usual smile. "Did I wake you?"

         "Nah, it's only three in the morning here, so... you know."

         He rubs his face, looking somewhat embarrassed, "Yeah, it's weird. The time difference, I mean, it was nine in Sydney, I had a five hour flight and then it was eleven when we got to Perth. And now it's- midnight. I feel like I'm living in the past."

         "You kind of are."

         "Yeah."

         "I'll tell you something, though, the future isn't that fun."

         "Maybe not for you."

         He gives me a grin and I glare at him, and the warmth that envelopes my heart must be from the fact that what happened earlier today- yesterday, actually, feels like it didn't happen at all. We were sad and miserable, then we managed to be all loved up, and then two hours later part ways on very... angry terms.

         And now, nine hours later, it feels like none of it happened. Well, at least the sad and angry parts of it.

         "So... listen-"

         "Who is that?"

         "Uh... it's, it's Lucy. I'm talking to Lucy."

         "Oh. Hi, Lucy."

         "Hi, Michael." I rub my face as I hear Ashton's band mate's footsteps somewhere in the background, deciding to pause my talking until he's out of the room.

         "You mind me lying around here?"

         Ashton's baffled face at Michael's question is almost too comical. "Did Cal and Luke go to sleep?"

         "...No?"

         "Then why don't you go lie around in their room?"

         "Because this is my room too?"

         "This is a private conversation."

         "Then put headphones on, I don't know."

         "Who are you talking to?" I place my phone on my pillow and my head in the palm of my hand as I hear Calum's voice next; it will be a few minutes before they come to an agreement. I could make myself some tea.