6

Brother Ryley had seen many things in his years. He had lived in many places and accomplished many things that a man twice his age could not even dream of. His favorite part may perhaps be the position he is in now. Simply referred to as a brother, he advises most everyone, even beyond Averie. These days it seemed God was testing the man's patience. When his young mia came to visit him, he found joy in the visit. He also despised the fact that it may very well end in a bicker. There was only one other visitor that had such effects and that was seventeen years of age, Zacary Holden, brother of the Earl of Leeland.

Mister Holden came calling when Angelica was still in his study. His wife beckoned her out quickly but she could not as easily clean her remnants from his room. Evidence of the rogue youth's visit littered the floor and his work desk. So he left and barred the door still having an ever-present fear of Angelica's safety. Usually, she only stole enough food to survive. Now she had thrown at him riches in coins.

Ryley tucks his fingers underneath the folds of his long, dark tunic and steps into the foyer where his wife serves as a distraction.

"Very well, Rita. G'day, Mr. Holden."

The smile Zacary gives as Rita scoots out is dark.

"May I ask why I have the privilege of your visit?"

Ryley tried his best to be courteous but Zacary pushes past and emerges into the rest of the house. He pauses and wheels on Ryley his eyes daringly locking onto the older man's serene ones. "Tell me not to leave my father. Tell me I shouldn't live my life on my own."

At the man's plea, Ryley says nothing. Daintily he sits himself in a chair of his own making and picks up a pot that was bought with his own money. Why, he ponders, would it be wrong to live away from one's father? In a flash, his ming shows him the face of the mia. He sets down the cup and meets the eyes of the young man. "Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours."

Huffing in exasperation at the crude message, Zacary fidgets. "Should I, or should I not, leave my father?"

"Are you to be joined in matrimony?"

Zacary groans. "So old fashioned. No."

"Without the right reasons, a quest is not a noble one. Without a finish, a race cannot be won. Without a destination, a journey should not be taken."

Furrowing his brows, Zacary nods in understanding. "So if I have no reason to leave, I shouldn't?"

The older man nods. "But those are your words, not mine."

"So you don't disagree with my decision to leave, but my lack of preparation."

Ryley raises an eyebrow, sure of the young man's manipulation. "I believe so."

A smile spreads on Zacary's face and he embraces Ryley. "Thanks to you I have someone to disobey. SOMEONE HAS SAID NO!" He shouts the last bit starting Rita enough that she peers in. "Say 'no'," Zacary commands.

Pronouncing it slowly and drawing out every sound, Ryley says, "No."

Zacary clutches at his heart and bounds out of the house.

"What did he want?" Rita quizzes.

Ryley shrugs over his hot tea. "An opposition."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The past: Zacary Holden

Every mother's least favorite word is 'no'. It always means something is negative. But as Kalliope crawling on the floor she felt herself muttering it over and over again. She was so distracted that she didn't notice the figure creeping up on her until the baby was sitting on her back.