Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Sky's POV

I can feel them, staring at me, whispering. I keep looking down as my one foot steps before the other and I make my way through the corridors and towards my locker.

At first I thought it was because of the fight with Adam yesterday but their not so silent whispering quickly squashed any chances of it being that.

I just kept on walking, trying to avoid making any eye contact knowing that it would be the perfect opportunity for someone, anyone and possibly everyone to start a conversation with me, or perhaps, a confrontation with me.

Everyone at this school is the same. Everyone in this community is the same. No one really has any secrets here; everyone knows everyone's business, secrets and scandals or gets to keep them for too long anyway, except me.

What happened between Mason and I has probably been one of the community's longest kept 'secrets' or 'mysteries', call it what you will.

My parents only kept it quiet to spare themselves the embarrassment considering that they of course encouraged my relationship with Mason so that they could build their 'business' relationship with Mr and Mrs. Sherwood. I assume his parents did the same, although, theirs might have been out of embarrassment of Mason.

They separated us then, shipped us off to where they were sure we'd be apart, and hoped that we would stay apart. I was grateful for that, well, us being apart, I didn't think I'd have to be shipped off to another town for that to happen.

I think my parents realized that when they'd asked me to come back home. I was hesitant at first, but eventually agreed to return home, not that it ever felt like much of a home to me.

I remember seeing Jessica for the first time after my return, 3 months ago. It was the 8th of February 2011; I was at her favourite boutique three roads down from her house.

I walked out of the changing room and came face to face with the girl who was my best friend before being exiled.

"Sky?!" she gaped, as if in disbelief.

Oh no... "Surprise?" I shrugged.

"Where have you been? It's been three months, no phone calls, emails or text messages? Nothing!" She said, her tone more disappointed than angered.

"Jess, I—" I looked down and sighed, I didn't want to bring that night back up or make it relevant, not when it was all too irrelevant to me right now.

I kind of just expected or wanted everyone else to let it go and move on, just as I had.

"I what, Sky? I what? Did your phone suddenly stop working when you left? Did cell reception disappear on it just like you disappeared on me? Did you lose it just like I lost my best friend? What? What excuse could you possibly give me that would make me forget what you did to me, what I went through when you left? What, Sky?!"

I closed my eyes and saw bright beams of light passing through the windows, tyres screeching, papers flying everywhere, my seatbelt tightening, my breathing slowing, my phone flying out of Mason's hand,

"Sky? Shit, Sky, I'm sorry. What's wrong with me?" she sighs as she face palms herself. I almost laugh but think better as she continues, "Sky, how are you? How have you been? Are you okay?" and I see the concern bulging from her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say, looking back down. She was quiet for a little too long now, deep in thought probably, so I tried shifting the attention, "How are you, Jess?" I asked, sounding hopeful.

"Me?" Jess quickly replied, I looked at her questioning her sanity for a second, she laughed and said, "I'm good, I'm good."

A faint smile crosses her face then, and she looks at me, "I've just missed you Sky, I've missed my best friend." she sobs, coming in for a hug.

Her arms tighten around me as though she has no intention of letting go until the last breath of air has left my lungs.

"I've missed you too, Jess." I squeak, gasping for air as she loosens her hold on me by centimetres. I lift my hand to pat her back in what I hope is a comforting manner but quickly remove it once she starts pulling away and mutter, "Sorry,"

"Well, you've never been good at the hugging thing," She laughs, "At least you haven't changed."

I smile fondly at the memory, when her voice calls me back to reality. I look up at her, already leaning against my locker with Lila right next to her, and Kyle a few lockers down with his friend, Thomas.

I quickly walk over to them and start entering my locker combination.

Just as I open my locker, Jess starts with her 21 questions, "Have you seen him yet? Has he called or texted you? Has anyone said anything to you? Or asked you about him? Have you seen his car in the parking lot? Is he here yet? Do you think he'll be late? Do you think he's changed? He's probably still the community's 'bad boy', huh? Wait, now that Mason's back, does he become the community bad boy or is it still Stor—" she gasps, and Lila and I both shoot our heads up, looking around, frantically for any signs of him, but we're quickly interrupted by Jessica's next question, "They'll probably both be the community's bad boys, right? Unless they fight it out for who the worst bad boy is. You guys don't think they'll fight it out, do you??"

I might be crazy but that does seem like a legitimate question. Looking at Lila, I'm assuming she agrees but just to silence Jessica and her ongoing rant, I say, "No, Jess, there are a million other things they could fight about, which is besides the point, why are we even making Mason or Storm relevant right now? What should be relevant is our Physics homework. Have you guys even done that? I've been struggling with question 12."

I look up at them as they try and recall what exactly question 12 is and shake my head as I pack my other books into my locker and look for my pen. I'm always looking for my pens, either because they've fallen and mysteriously disappeared into some other dimension or because I can't recall who I've last borrowed them to.

"Hmm... where are you, stupid, sneaky pen?" I ask, mostly to myself as I continue to rummage through my locker.

Suddenly I realize that the corridor has gone quiet, too quiet. I frown at the inside of my locker trying to listen for any conversation in the distance but nothing.

Jess nudges me in the ribs then, I look up to her face and she motions her head in the direction everyone else already seems to be looking in. I follow their eyes all the way to the end of the corridor until I finally see it.

"Mason..."

***

A/N

OhMyGosh, guys, i am so sorry, i know that this was a really short chapter but it's been months since i posted after Chapter 8, so thank you for taking the time to read this, i promise the next chapter will be longer with more excitement, i just really wanted to post something before you guys lose interest in the story, :( so i kind of rushed this chapter but GUESS WHAT?? :D

there will definitely be a Mason's POV, maybe giving a little more insight to what has happened in Sky's past..

is anyone excited to know what happens when Mason and Sky come face to face? :/ Will he ignore her existence?  -_- Will he expect everything to go back to the way they were before the 'shit hit the fan' (excuse the expression) or will they become friends? What do you guys think? :D