Chapter Nineteen

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental. All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without the prior written permission of the publisher.

©2007 – 2011 Katrina Meade

Laurel

            I looked around the sunny square; this is where I wanted to be. I looked at the person at my side it was Katrina, who I wanted to share this with, next to her was Angelina. On my other side was Ben, I didn’t want to be with him, I knew that now. Only one person belonged at my side, and I had pushed him away. But that didn’t matter, he thought I hated him and he was never coming back, no matter how hard I begged.

            Ben tugged on my arm and pulled me further into the square. “Come on slowpoke.”

            I laughed ailingly. “Sure, let’s go.”

            Katrina came over and wrapped her arm around my shoulders. She bent her head and whispered in my ear. “Don’t worry. He loves you.”

            I looked up at her. “What do you mean?”

            Katrina chuckled. “I know you worry about Erich, but don’t, he still loves you.”

            I shook my head slowly. “Even you wouldn’t love me after the things said.”

            She laughed again. “Sure, Laurel, I really doubt that.”

            I laughed with her even though I knew she was right. Katrina, though fun and eccentric, was very perceptive and understanding. I always think of her as a little child, and then she is abruptly eighty years old. Katrina is one you turn to if you need a lift in spirit. Even for a vampire she’s pretty human.

            Ben was still standing next to me when two people walked up. The young man was handsome and obviously a vampire. That made me miss Erich, but I couldn’t think of him. When I looked at the girl I almost passed out or screamed or something. The girl was identical to Erich. She had the same color hair. The same face and body. Except all her features were that of a girl.

            “Ciao,” the young man spoke with a strong Italian accent. “My name is Stefan and this is Sara. Welcome to Italy.”

            “Buonasera,” Sara murmured.

            A growl rumbled in Ben as he looked at the vampires. I nudged him. “Grazie but we ask that you excuse our leave.”

            Stefan caught my hand. “Carina, please don’t leave.” He kissed my hand. Sara flashed him a hard look.

            I blushed. “Thank you but we really must go.”

            Sara was glaring balefully at Stefan. I was scrutinizing her face when I knew why she looked like Erich.

            “You’re his twin,” I blurted out.

            Sara looked at me, confused. “Excuse me?”

            “In 1929 on July 27th you were born into a rich family. You had a twin brother but he got sick at the age of seventeen just two months before your birthday.” My head spun with my epiphany.

            Sara shook her head, but it didn’t look like denial. She was trying to make sense of the information. “How do you know these things? Who are you?”

            I looked startled by the tone in Sara’s voice, as if the things I said had startled her. “I’m Laurel Cliffe. I know these things because my,” I gulped, “ex-boyfriend is your twin brother.”

            “How can that be?” She gasped. “We buried a body and everything. He can’t still be alive.”

            “He is.” I touched Ben’s arm by accident, and I cringed away. “This,” I gestured to her, “is what he is.”

            “Where is he?” she asked warily.

            “I think he’s in Minnesota. In the US.” I was skeptical.

            “What do you mean by ‘I think’?” She noted my skepticism.

            “Well after I...left him, I really haven’t seen him.” A single, cool tear rolled down my cheek.

            “Oh.” She thought momentarily. “Would you like to accompany us?”

            I looked at Katrina and Angelina. I completely ignored Ben’s stiff form. They both nodded. “Of course we would like to accompany you.”

            We all walked in the direction of the bridge. But Sara and Stefan surprised us by leading us to a boat in the river.