Chapter Sixteen

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental. All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without the prior written permission of the publisher.

©2007 – 2011 Katrina Meade

Lindsay

            Stephani and Meredith had been gone all day, and it was strange. But I didn’t care, as long as Stephani left me alone. I had been planning on seeing Laurel today, but she had texted me to not come over. So I had a full day of nothing.

            When David got home, he was irritated. “Damn kids,” he growled.

            “What happened Dad?” I asked. Since David had been transferred to the Duluth High School, he had been in many bad moods.

            He looked at me sharply. “A couple of kids decided to get into a fight, right outside my class, too.”

            I looked at him more closely. Across his cheek was a smarting purple bruise. His forehead was bleeding quickly from a small cut.

            “Let me help you with that,” I offered. I grabbed the first aid kit from the hall closet.

            I cleaned his forehead thoroughly. Once he was bandaged, I asked if he had eaten. When he said no, I cooked some lunch. We ate in silence.

            “Where the hell is Stephani and your mother?” he demanded.

            “I don’t know,” I answered quietly. “They said they were going out today, and they wouldn’t be back till later.”

            “What the hell?” he grumbled. “You’d think they don’t know any better.”

            I shook my head. “Sure, Dad,” I chuckled.

            “Why are you always here?” he asked suddenly. “And who is that boy I always see you with?”

            “You mean my friend,” I corrected. My dad didn’t need to know I had a boyfriend.

            “Friends don’t kiss,” he pointed out harshly. “You can’t see him anymore.”

            I glared at him mercilessly. “No,” I growled defiantly.

            “Excuse me?”

            “I said no.” I enunciated each syllable.

            He slapped me sharply across the face. “I’m tired, so goddamn tired, of hearing you and your sister snap at me.”

            “Well, its about time that you started acting like a parent,” I retorted harshly.

            “You know what,” he yelled. “You, young lady, are grounded.”

            “Fine,” I exclaimed, being rude about it.

            “Go to your room,” he hollered.

            I walked swiftly to my room and slammed the door. As soon as I locked it, I climbed out the window. I wasn’t about to sit around listening to my dad scream at me because he’s a bad parent. As I moved farther away from the house, I heard a panting sound. I looked at the dense trees. A silver creature walked slowly out to greet me.