Chapter Five

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental. All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without the prior written permission of the publisher.

©2007 – 2011 Katrina Meade 

Laurel

When I opened my eyes I was in a dark room. The only light was coming from the moon shining in through the window. I sat up slowly and found I was in my room. Eyes. Eyes are watching me. I scanned the room and found Phoenix and Cour, Amile and Gerrie, and Erich watching me. I didn’t want to face them, it was too much. I shook my head and tried to climb out of bed.

            Erich was there before I could get the covers off. “You have to stay down.”

            Phoenix hissed when Erich pushed me back on the bed.

            My body wanted to listen to Erich, but my mind was over ruling the feelings. “I can’t stay here,” I cried. “I won’t. I’ve had enough.”

            Amile walked into the pale moonlight. She looked more delicate than I’d ever seen her before. “Sweetie, it’s too dangerous for you to go.”

            “Why?” I asked, my voice cracking at the end.

            “Because,” Gerrie’s low voice was a cautious nuance, “you know too much and there are others out there that would like to posses you.”

            I shook my head not wanting to hear more. “You make me feel like an object to be won,” I whispered, mostly to myself.

            “It’s complicated but we have quite a few vampires on our side,” Gerrie continued in a quiet monotone. “We were shocked that we got the Cooper’s coven to help.” He looked at Erich. “Or at least if they are willing to help.”

            Erich nodded slowly. “I think that I can get Steven and Melissa to help. I’m not sure if Emelia will be of any help, and I’m positive you don’t want Terry’s help.”

            “What are you talking about?” I asked confused, again. But there was something tugging at my memory.

            Gerrie shook his head. “Nothing.” He then turned to the others. “Phoenix, you and Erich should get home. Cour can watch on the other human girl while Amile stays here.”

            They all nodded and left. I laid back down and fell asleep. When I woke again the sun was shining through and my room was vacant of vampires. I rolled out of bed and noticed I was still wearing the same clothes. I changed quickly and snuck downstairs. The house was quiet. I then walked out the front door and started running. I ran for over two hours and found myself sweating just on the border of Duluth. I wandered through the trees and came across a creek. It was a familiar area, I had visited this place with my dad as a child. We had hiked on the trails. I walked slowly towards the rocks of Chester Creek. The heavy sounds of the pouring water drowned out my thoughts. The trees made me feel secluded from the rest of the world. Apparently, that is what I was, secluded and different. I wasn’t sure I believed them. Vampires didn’t exist. They showed me the fangs but I want it to just be in my head. Erich, Phoenix, my family, none of it could be true. They walked around during the day.

            I shivered walking up one of the trails. I hugged my sweatshirt closer. The wind blew my hair around my face. A strange gust blew against me. I turned and gasped.