Chapter Three

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental. All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without the prior written permission of the publisher.

©2007 – 2011 Katrina Meade

Lindsay

            I climbed awkwardly out of the back seat of my dad’s black pick-up. Margaret Garabedian, my mother, and Stephani were coming up later. Two weeks ago my mom’s best friend died in a car accident and she decided that big city life wasn’t for “us girls” as she put it. But I felt perfectly sane, sometimes. David Garabedian, my father, chose Grand Marais because he grew up here as a little boy and it was a few minutes away from Duluth where he had been staying in a little flat near the college where he had been working. He said life would be interesting enough. It would take us time to settle so my mom said we didn’t have to start school for two weeks. That pleased me.

            “Dad, why is the house so small?” I stared at the cabin David chose.

            “Because that’s the way a cabin is supposed to be.” He chuckled as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. “Welcome home.”

            “Home is back in the cities, this is a freaking horror film waiting to happen.” I grumbled.

            “Linds, you’ve got an overactive imagination,” he laughed. We then proceeded to bring our few bags into the “house”. Everything else would arrive when Margaret and Stephani arrived.

            I put my one suitcase of clothes, shoes and other necessities on my bed; while the suitcase filled with my books and laptop went on the wooden desk under the window. I went to my dad when I saw we had no food. “Can I have the keys?”

            David looked up curiously. “What for?”

            “We need food, dishes, and toilet paper. I’m going to town to get everything for a few weeks without Mom and Steph.” I held out my hand.

            “Okay, and can you grab some new towels. I seem to have left the others at home.” He placed the keys in my waiting hand. “Have fun.”

            I drove past a lot of small novelty shops. I made note that I would stop there. I then drove straight to the grocery store. The building was a story and a half; the lower half was a creamy stone, the top half was a green metal. There were two small doors on either side of a large automatic door. I was climbing out of the truck when I saw them. They were two boys and a girl. Out of the two boys, one looked rather dark and sinister. He was tall and bulky with long, shaggy black hair. The other was tall and slightly less muscular than the other but just as handsome. While the other two looked to be in their twenties, the girl looked my age. She had elbow length auburn hair, pale skin. She was about medium build, or at least I guessed as she was hidden beneath layers of baggy clothes. They were laughing.

As I closed the door the black-haired one looked up. At the same time so did the others. The lankier of the two boys spoke in a deep, quiet voice. “Did you just move here?”

            I looked around me. “Are you talking to me?”

They all laughed again. “Yeah, I mean you,” he chuckled.