Chapter 13

When I came back mum was furiously working on the notebook and dad was calling with someone.

„Great. We can't wait, we are looking forward it. Of course...Mily too." He said and gave me a cautious glance, then ended the call. „Hi."

„Hi. Who was it?"

He didn't catch a word when mum stood up and started talking. „You know that annual beneficial ball, that is hold for juristic chest in our city?" I nod.

They go to something like that every year. When I was really young I went with them a few times. I will never understand how I could done it but I have to admit that it was one of those things that made me realise, that opened my eyes.

I mean, maybe the ball is for a good purpose, but it was created from a completely different reason. It's for people to show off their money. Who has which dress, who comes with new wife or husband, or who makes another scandal. This is like a cherry on the top of the cake of superficiality. One of the biggest event for people such my parents. The whole influential high society meets there to fake smiles and lies. My parents wait for it already from the summer.

„So... every year is one family chosen. To be like a main organiser and supporter." Mum speaks in one breath. I haven't seen her this excited in a long time. But I still don't get the point. „And this year... It's US!!!" She screams.

Oh, so that's it.

„Well, great, I guess. Congrats" I say. I want to get into my room when dad cuts in.

„I know what you think about this. But there will be a lot of people I want you to meet. Plus, Mr. Terell, very important judge is going with his son, that would like to meet you. You remember Tony, you have met a few times when you were young."

I blink a few times. „I don't understand what you are talking about. I am not going to any ball. Like every year. Do you remember?"

„Emily. You have to go to this one. We are main patrons. How would it look when our only daughter doesn't show up? That's inaccessible!"

„Honey, I am sorry but dad's right. You have to attend."

„You can't force me. I will never go willingly. You can drive me there but then I will make hell out of it." I say quietly but emphasizing every word so they understand it finally.

„Since we knew you would react this way - we thought about one idea." I could just leave and end this conversation, but something catch my attention. „If you go there, you will meet new people. People that can help you with your future and with choosing the university. They may come up with better idea than Oxford and then I am willing to consider it too."

My parents don't make concessions or compromises. Never. I didn't know that it means so much to them. I doubt that he really means it but I wanted to try at least. I have to survive one night, even though I will hide in the bathrooms. „So, do you agree?" I look at mum. She has silent plea in her eyes. She is my mum and I love her, and when I see how much she wants it, I agree.

She jumps and claps. „Great. Ball is being held at the end of the January so we have a month and a bit for preparation. I'm sure that Tony will be excited too." I don't remember him much but since he is the judge's son, I already don't like him. So another problem.

Not that I plan to spend a second with him, but it annoys me that my parents even think about something like that. So I thought about the biggest bullshit ever. „But I will bring a company." They both looked as they've seen a ghost. Mouth widely opened, but till they can say anything I go to my room.

The next day I drive with Abby to school so we have enough time to talk. I am pretty surprised that she doesn't ask about Matt or what happened between us. On one side I am thankful for that, but on the other it's pretty suspicious. I tell her about the ball at least. We get out and head towards our wing.