Chapter 8 : A walk on the wild side.

She would continue to maintain her poise and elegance. Corner stones of who Genevieve is. What was happening inside was in stark contrast however. When she saw Rafael across the room she was immediately taken back to that night at the mansion. An adventurous and fun night she would never forget. She had no idea that such strong feelings for Rafael could form from just one night. This was something that scared her. This was why she fled that night. It must be poetic justice , her being here in the very room she fled from Rafael and her seeing him once again in the very same establishment .
She had no control over the situation, what she did have control of was her reaction, Well barely anyway. "Do you know that man ?" Henry asked. Genevieve's mind was so preoccupied with the situation she almost forgot about Henry who was quietly sitting across from her. "Yes! He is an old friend of mine from college." She gave a slight smile, the best she could summon considering the situation then accompanied this with a wave. This was returned to her from across the room. "You know you should go over and talk to him." Henry urged." "That's not at all necessary."
Genevieve looks at the bottle of wine , Merlot , he remembered. What is this ? A note attached on a napkin covering the side of the bottle. Quickly without Henry noticing she opens the note .

An explanation perhaps Miss Jones?

The note had his number attached. She quickly squashed the note and throws it in her bag. Immediately looking up in the direction of Rafael. He smiles and nods at her , acknowledging her having received the message. Rafael soon gets up and Genevieve fears that he would come over and strike up a conversation. Her fears are averted however. He simply puts a couple of notes on the bill , throws his jacket over his arm and smoothly and silently leaves the establishment. After a few brief moments of contemplation, Genevieve turns to Henry . So your Dad gave you that necklace ?" "Yes , in fact I received it the very night I met you." The fact that Rafael was there threw her so much that even Henry sensed a change in her. As good as she was at masking her emotions, Henry was no fool.

Later Henry called the waitress , payed the bill then said to Genevieve "Shall we get going ?" "Where are we going?" " Just for a walk if you'd like." Henry got up and extended his hand to Genevieve . She took it and the two made their way out the door. After needing to spend time with someone for so long it was good to feel needed by Genevieve. At the beginning this night served to help heal Henry and yet now , after the turn in Genevieve's mood , Henry felt his company was also not wanted, but needed. Long silences ensued and try as she might not to make these weird she just could not switch her mind off from thinking. Thinking about what she had done to Rafael that night at the moonflower. She pushed it to the back of her mind figuring she would never see him again. Yet after tonight , after seeing him  again it pushed all those memories to the fore front of her mind , forcing her to think about every single aspect of meeting Rafael.
The air was refreshing and to an extent if did help the gears turning in her head. Henry remained silent as though giving her the time she needed to think things through. Genevieve was so deep in thought she took no notice of two gentlemen crossing the street towards both Henry and her. Once a couple yards away Henry catches the glint of something that shines, reflecting off the street lamps, the only source of light on this darkened street side. Almost instinctually he pulls Genevieve to his back breaking her out of her thoughts . One of the men speaks up " We don't want any trouble , just hand over any valuables." Genevieve peeps around from behind Henry, it is the first time she notices how big Henry is. Suddenly he is no longer the cute gentleman she had seen at the hospital and at the jazz club. He is now a wild animal, taking his stance , firm and ready. The second man pulls out a hand gun, noticing Henry's change in stance. The click of the second mans gun sends a shiver down Genevieve's spine causing her to shudder.Henry is unaffected, looking in between both men , taking everything into his peripheral vision , waiting , calculating his move . No one reaches into their pockets to retrieve valuables and both men take this as a challenge. The man furtherest away begins lifting the gun . The one closest to us speaks once more " I'm not going to ask......."
In an instant Henry is gone , he runs straight into the first man carrying a knife. He tackles him like a fright train causing him to drop his knife.Henry  sweeps him up by his shirt around his chest and continues running with him. The thief's legs are not touching the ground and Henry carries him as though he were a rag doll . He runs right into the second man holding the gun. He was far to quick for either man to do anything with their weapons. The three all end on the floor and Henry begins hacking away at both men's faces with a series of punches.
Genevieve is standing a couple of yards away and yet she still feels the vibrations through the ground from the damage Henry is inflicting on the muggers. When he is done the two are a pile of blood and saliva on the pavement. He immediately turns around to inspect Genevieve    "Are you alright?" Genevieve doesn't respond, instead tears begin to fall from her eyes at the thought of how things could have have turned out.
"Come on, let's get out of here."  He puts his arm around her and the two continue to walk down the street. A voice soon calls from behind them. "That's all you got?" Both Henry and Genevieve turn in unison to see one of the muggers barely able to hold up the gun. Aiming right at them through his only good eye, with the other swollen shut from Henry's beating. This time ,before a reaction ,  he pulls the trigger POP POP! Two flashes of light like a fire cracker. There are no screams just silence . Silence and darkness on that cold city street.