Chapter 2: Lavender Girl

The drinks were beginning to have their desired effect. I never really had a high tolerance for alcohol. I never really needed it to have fun. Needless to say all my friends who went through the phase of going out to parties and drinking themselves silly had built up much more of a tolerance to the stuff. Embarrassingly even woman would drink me under the table which didn't aid my manhood much.

Having said that tonight wasn't at all about building up my tolerance to liquor, it was simply to forget that I had punked out of going to talk to that gorgeous girl on the balcony. That I wasn't the confident man I wish I was when it came to members of the opposite sex. I picked up my glass of whiskey "Well  at least you're here to help me". I said to my glass. The bartender shot me a look that at once conveyed both confusion and concern. Concern no doubt for my mental wellbeing. I smiled and shrugged my shoulders then he disappeared into the back of the bar.

The formalities had now concluded which meant the dance floor was opened. Several couples were on the floor. With those who's significant others couldn't dance forming a circle around the dancefloor. The couples dancing did so with grace. It was not hard to see that this type of dancing had to be learned. I am about as graceful as a penguin on land. Ever notice how graceful a penguin is in water. They dart around and are so hydrodynamic and yet when they get on to solid ground that all changes. Their demeanour becomes that of a clumsy child and they waddle all over the place. When it came to the matter of dance I was indeed a penguin.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a vibrating buzz from my pocket. I reached for my phone to find a message from Elizabeth " Jerry ate too many crab cakes. He isn't feeling too good. I think we are gonna bail. Trust Jerry to over indulge. I should probably find them and leave.

No sooner had that thought entered my mind something really interesting happened. The smell of lavender had returned! As soon as I looked up from my phone, beautiful mystery woman was sitting an arm's length away from me! This was a second chance for me as far as I was concerned, I could not leave this venue without at the very least saying something to her. It would be for the sake of my manhood hell even my sanity.

"Good evening miss". I said, surprised by the confidence I conveyed in my own voice. She swivelled almost immediately on her chair and gave me her attention. Her eyes widened with realization and she smiled broadly. Electric sparks began racing up and down my spine. Something I never experienced however only managed to read about in cheesy romance novels. Her smile was infectious I found myself smiling as well. "You're the guy from earlier ... the balcony boy". She replied.

"The one and only, although now I've transitioned to the bar guy" .She let out a giggle that was the most adorable one I've encountered. "This balcony boy slash bar boy is at times also called Rafael, what may I ask is your name?" "Lets keep some mystery to this evening shall we". She said while smiling.

Any other man would have taken that reply as her not being interested in him. This mystery Lavender girl  however maintained eye contact and had a smile that suggested anything but disinterest. My company was being enjoyed, whatever I was doing was working. She had now shifted her body in my general direction, I had her attention.

The feeling I received from her is one I can only compare to being up on a stage with millions of people watching me and a massive spot light directly on me. My mind scrambled to focus on the conversation because her beauty had the ability to steal my concentration and I hoped the words I was speaking actually made sense.

"In that case I hope what you're drinking this evening doesn't remain too much of a mystery. To which she replied "Merlot". Her smile disappeared and a small frown appeared. She began looking at me in a different way, as though she were inspecting every small detail of me or perhaps trying to decide what my intentions were. I took this opportunity to flag down the barman who was mostly relieved that I had transitioned from talking to my glass of whisky to now talking to another living person.

"Merlot for the lady and my drink could use a spring clean". The barman took away my old drink and disappeared behind the bar once again. I turned back to find lavender girl still looking at me intensely. "The  pupils of your eyes are really big right now did you know that?" She laughed. "Well if you think about it, when a person sees something truly beautiful, their pupils would expand to allow more light into their eye so they can see more and in turn appreciate more fully the beauty of what they are beholding." I retorted with a devilish smirk.

Realisation hit her. Realization of the fact that this was a compliment aimed right at her. She began to blush uncontrollably while looking at the floor and smiling, no doubt trying to avoid eye contact with me. In one smooth motion she tucked her hair behind her ear. I found myself wishing I would be able to replay her reaction over and over again in my head because of how cute and innocent it was. I would want that moment to stay with me forever even if it was just in my memory.

The barman interjected by putting down our drinks, he also managed to break my day dreaming. Being so mesmerised by Lavender girl, it had completely slipped my mind, I had forgotten to reply to Elizabeth's text. I excused myself from Lavender girl and replied to the text " Get home safe. I'll text you in the morning. It's going to be a long night.