Chapter 6 : Good conversation and good company.

Several weeks had past since the events that transpired in Saint Pauls hospital. The wave of people that usually accompanied the death of a loved one had now passed. Henry found himself at a small cafe across the street from his own apartment . Gazing up at his home he couldn't believe the amount of people that had passed through there, offering their condolences, love and support. His father was very loved , he also made many friends due to how unusual his name was to the common American . As far back as Henry could remember he could recall his father entertaining friends with stories from Africa and his days as a young man hunting and learning from his father before him how to live off the land. The guests would be amazed...always without exception. You can't blame them, these city dwellers, it's all they know. Never the less Nkululeko was rather good at relating stories and he knew exactly how to hook his audience.
Henry longed to go back to his mother land and live the life his father left behind after following his mother state side. Unfortunately his life was here and if there was one thing Henry depended on it was stability. A stable job, a stable income and a stable life. With the unpredictability of life he almost depended on stability as a sort of comfort to him .This is the reason Henry did not have a relationship , he never forgot what had happened to his father and mother and this experience hung over him , affecting his viewpoint on the opposite sex. He would not get involved with woman because they were unpredictable , something in stark contrast to his orderly , predictable and safe life.
Loneliness however does not care about order or disorder , about predictability or unpredictability . When it comes for us it will still grab a hold of you and consume you if you allow it to.
Henry did not stop thinking of that woman at the hospital the night of his fathers death. She was really beautiful without a doubt. She also took a special interest in him. She strikes Henry as a free spirit kind of girl. What she said about " Everyone needing help" was absolutely true.
Now more than ever before Henry needed help. Whatever form that came in he would take it. He hated going back to his quite apartment and thinking about things . His Dad, his Mom, the fact that he never found a girlfriend , the fact that he isn't a risk taker. These negative thought patterns would, more often than not, lead him into a depressive state.
Suddenly a thought popped into his head. That woman ...she left me her card ! Light was beginning to form at the end of this tunnel. Henry scratched around for the card as though it were a winning lotto ticket.
He pulled it up to his face to read the name of the woman from the hospital.

Genevieve Jones
Botanist

On the back was contact details, an e-mail address and a phone number. Henry was out of his league here. He had never called a girl before. However his fears about making the call were little in comparison to the loneliness he would experience if he simply went home.
He decided to call.
Carefully punching in the digits he pressed call and waited patiently through the ringing tone.
"Hi this is Genevieve how can I help you?"
"Hi Genevieve this is Henry....we met at the hospital a number of weeks ago."
There was complete silence on the other end of the line so Henry filled this almost awkward silence.
"Remember? I fell asleep on your lap?"
Suddenly the voice from the other end of the line responded. "Of course I remember you Henry, I was hoping you would call so I could find out how you are holding up." Henry didn't know how to respond. Surely he couldn't just lay all his cards on the table . He decided to go with the direct approach.
"Genevieve the reason I'm calling is because the night we met you said everyone needs help. Right now I just need a friend, some good conversation and good company."
Once again for what seemed like an eternity silence came from the other end of the line . Eventually this was broken by her.
" 117 Patrick Street." "Excuse me ?" Henry responded a little confused."That's where you can pick me up ....117 Patrick Street....just look for the flower store. I'll be ready in Thirty Minutes."
"Uhm....sure I'll see you in the next half hour I guess ! " He said with both confusion and excitement in his voice.
"See you in a bit."
And just like that is was done. Surprisingly Henry's heart wasn't beating out of his chest and he seemed really at ease. If he had to put his finger on it he would have to say that it was Genevieve's voice that put him so much at ease. He began to question the circumstance he put himself in. What was his plan,what would they do once they meet? What would they talk about  ? What if she gets bored with his company ? One question more than all the others stuck out for him. Was this a date ?
Henry quickly snapped out of his day dreaming and looked down at his watch. " DAMN IT! , I already wasted five minutes !"
He quickly settled his bill and darted across the street in the direction of his apartment . If this was a date it would be in his best interest to wear something smarter.
As he gets into the elevator a smile lights up on his face , one he can't hide. His thoughts ?

( Well this is going to be interesting)