Chapter 5 : Henry

Thunder rumbled in the dark room of the apartment . The faint sounds of pedestrians and traffic could be heard distantly several stories down. Lighting strikes across the ebony sky lighting up the apartment for a second as though it were daytime.

A message alert of a cell phone goes off on the nightstand and lights the room up once again. Henry turns over in bed and blindly reaches for his phone. He brings the phone to his face to read the message.

Veronica( Saint Paul's hospital.)
Come as soon as you get this. His situation is critical. He doesn't have much time left.

Without hesitation Henry gets up and starts getting dressed. It is not long before he is out the door and getting into a taxi on its way down the road.

It takes him approximately 15 mins to reach the hospital. A further 5 mins if you include the time it takes him to pay the driver and make his way into the hospital to the correct floor and room. " Through here please Henry." Veronica said in a hushed voice. "Thank you for messaging me. I greatly appreciate it."

"That's no problem ...go on in ...he is expecting you." Henry turns his attention to the doorway he is about to walk through. He was certain that it wasn't going to be easy from here. He took a deep breath in and exhaled then proceeded through the doorway.

"Dad?". "Henry....you're here." Henry's Dad Nkululeko had become his only parent. At the tender age of 3 Henry was moved from his place of birth in a little town in Southern Africa to New York city. When he was seven his mother left him and his father and took off with another man who promised to get her further in her acting career.

Nkululeko and Henry would be inseparable. His father now taking on the role of both parents. However that was years ago and now his father lay dying in a hospital bed.

"My child. My son. You have made me so proud." Henry analized his father's face for he knew these were the last moments and memories he would have with his dear father.

" You've got a big heart , I've seen this in you. For years you've taken good care of me." Nkululeko spoke slowly and would struggle to take in air. His body was undoubtedly shutting down.

Nkululeko continued " I too was at my father's side when he died. He told me to live boldly and love openly. Now to you my son I say the same."Tears began to fall from Henry's eyes as he took his father's hand.

"And Just as he handed me this heirloom so too do I hand it to you now." Nkululeko hands his son a chain with the tusk of a bush pig on the end.

"The bush pig is unassuming and odd and yet it is a powerful animal not to be interfered with. So too with you Henry. People will misunderstand you and people will think your odd but it is up to you to know your strength and youre worth. "

Henry was listening carefully yet the tears continued to fall from his face. "Dad, thank you for everything you did for me." Nkululeko smiled at him. " No my son. Thank you for everything you did for me."

Nkululeko began to cough loudly and his son reached over to pour some water for his father from his bedside. Nkululeko caught him by his hand. " Remember Henry....live boldly"

Henry felt his father's grip loosen from his wrist which was still holding the glass of water. His father was still smiling and yet his eyes were closed. Slowly his smile faded and it was as if he was asleep. The screen behind him began to flat line but there was no screaming for a doctor or nurse for assistance. Henry knew his father was gone.

Henry sat watching his father's body while the machine flatlined. As much as you expect death to come, when it arrives it always catches you unexpectedly and its something you never get used to.

Henry takes the heirloom and places it around his neck. It will be a while before the nurses enter and ask him to leave. Henry makes his way to the waiting room. To him it didn't feel right leaving the hospital with his father still here.

True his father was dead and there wasn't anything Henry could do to change that but it just felt wrong. Henry sat in the waiting area of the hospital with his face in his hands sobbing. He would be there for hours.

He was so exhausted from such an emotional evening that he falls to his side on the waiting room chair. In doing so he lands on a lady's lap next to him and he falls asleep.

A woman across the waiting room sees this happen and looks at the lady who's lap he had fallen asleep on . She mouths the words "Do you need help?" To which the lady replies " That's alright. Let him rest. It seems his been through a lot."

Henry is eventually woken up by the sound of an ambulance bringing new patients in. Almost at once he realizes he is laying on another person and quickly gets up and corrects his posture looking over at the woman next to him.

"Ma'am I apologize for falling asleep on you. It's just ..." "Henry please don't worry. While you were asleep Veronica explained everything to me. You've had an unimaginably hard night and I figured I was helping you some how by being your pillow." She smiled at Henry ,however, he did not return a smile but simply nodded at her.

"Thank you for being understanding." Henry stood and gave a slight smile to the stranger who's lap he just slept on. " We should do this again some time." She said looking up at him with her novel in one hand. Before he could say anything she continued " We all need help in life Henry ...everyone without exception. Your face right now is telling me you need help so I'll tell you what, if the house is getting too quiet or the pain of losing your Dad is too much give me a call and you've got yourself a friend .

Was this girl hitting on him ? Surly not. He is a grieving son . That wouldn't be in good taste. Is she just that much of a good person ?

She reached in her bag and pulled out her card and handed it to Henry. "I'm serious ...give me a call." She shut her novel, threw it in her bag then got up and made her way out through the sliding door. Henry looked around to see who was looking but no one was. He made his way to the exit and hailed a cab.

His father's voice stuck in his head . "Remember Henry. Live boldly." He reached to his neck and squeezes the warthogs tusk on the end of the chain and closed his eyes.