Chapter 1 : Rafael.

I have been coming to these charity events for the better part of four years now. Could it be that I actually enjoyed the gathering together of the aristocratic class? These people who would live in the lap of luxury yet break off pocket change for starving kids in Africa with flies in their eyes. To me the whole thing was rather depressing despite the admirable objective trying to be achieved.

I guess the real reason I would come to these events is firstly for the simple fact that my two best friends, who also happened to be married, would always drag me along. Jerry would constantly say "Come on Raf. Perhaps some woman tonight at the event would make you honest." Elizabeth would chorus "Comb your hair! And wear a jacket." And here I thought I left my parents back in Arizona.

Secondly, the food. Fattening up rich people is a really good way of getting them to empty their pockets. It worked like magic. So long as the venue was classy, the food and drink good and you had a couple of deep pocketed individuals rubbing shoulders, you could get them to invest in just about anything. For those of the bachelor class such as myself, a good free meal and an open bar never hurt.

The atmosphere was rather lively this evening. The band on stage who were all dressed in neat black pants and white jackets, played upbeat jazz songs which, when coupled together with the chatting of the large crowed, added a level of excitement in the air which was unspoken of however undoubtedly felt by every individual in the room. The formalities had not yet begun and champagne was already being served as though it was being brought up from a bottomless well.

Jerry and Elizabeth had found a comfortable corner for themselves. Comfortable in the sense that it had a suspended view of the floor which allowed them to mock the unassuming deep pocketed aristocrat while still managing to be close to the buffet and ablution facilities. "You better get in there Raf you know the crab cakes don't last very long at these things." Elizabeth explained. "I ate just before we left Liz, I'm sure I will be fine for the evening. I do think I'll grab some fresh air before we get started here though." I replied. So I proceeded to the adjacent balcony which seemed less busy than all the happenings taking place in the mansion.

The air was crisp and the jazz music from the neatly dressed band echoed softly in the back. It was a clear night and the stars beamed. The moon was so radiant in managed to light up the whole balcony. It seems I had found the best seat in the house. The mansion overlooked a fountain with water works that were simply remarkable. It held my attention for several minutes before I heard a voice on the mic. Ladies and gentlemen may I please have your attention!

I turned and peered through the large doorway over the sea of heads and towards the stage. A distinguished looking gentlemen with grey hair and a well fitted suit had everyone's attention but frankly didn't hold mine for very long. I continued to take in the sights that the secluded balcony and the clear starry night had to offer.

Suddenly within the air came the smell of a flower. For that moment my mind scrambled to remember the name of this particular flower, the smell of which had become rather apparent at this point. And suddenly it clicked "Lavender!" I smiled to myself. The flowers were all too far from the balcony for their scent to be appreciated. It was then that I realized I was totally indulged by the scent, not of a flower but of someone's perfume. I turned and looked further down the balcony. There stood a girl in a beautiful dress. I did not noticed if she had been there before and yet there she stood. She had dark brown hair that fell in lovely locks that reached her shoulders and from the angle I was observing her, it also managed to block her face. The dress was emerald and hugged her body perfectly. As modest as the dress was, it wasn't too difficult to see that she had an excellent figure.

I stood for a minute in awe of how the moonlight reached down and gently kissed her skin. Just at that moment she turned and looked at me with a blank look on her face. She had the most beautiful hazel eyes. She did not at all seem bothered by the fact that I was looking at her, she must have guys looking at her all the time. So as not to spoil the moment I smiled at her and she returned with a smile that was in between a smile and a giggle. Her smile revealed dimples on either cheek that accentuated her beauty. This girl was undoubtedly trouble.

Sadly, as is the case with all beautiful moments in this life, this moment had come to an end. She gracefully turned and walked through the large doorway, disappearing into the sea of people. No sooner had she crossed my path, she vanished, leaving me wanting more.

Now alone on the balcony I began to recollect my thoughts. Who was she? Was she here with someone? Questions I really needed answers to. A bolder man would have followed her in and bought her a drink. No such man existed here, just plain old Rafael who was in over his head. I decided on a shameful retreat, to the bar perhaps.

Making my way through the crowed towards the bar I couldn't help but wonder where in the room she might be. I had to see her at least once before the night ended.After what seemed like an eternity of shuffling through people, I had reached the bar. It was time to forget the details of this night and that was nothing a couple of drinks could not handle.