The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 27

Comincia dall'inizio

The sun was slowly disappearing behind the trees in a red glow that lit up the sky in purple and orange. Owls began to appear and scatter through the trees. Many were browns in colors but a few were white and gorgeous in color. Arria didn’t find them appealing though but she admired the black owls that appeared. White wasn’t a found color for Arria, instead she found black an exotic color. The clearing was small with scattered pinecones and bark dust scattered about. It was a simple place just outside the village. Behind the two boys she could see through the trees to the small village full of brick homes of various colors. None of the houses seemed to match each other in any way. It was a simple place.

“It grows late, shouldn’t you children be home with your families?” Arria asked.

“Yes, we should go soon.” Kelvnar said.

“I have no family.” Vaelyn rasped.

“Is that so? It is a shame that there will be nobody to miss you.”

His eyes bulged in understanding but no sound came out as Arria grabbed his neck. She clenched tightly removing his chance for breath and looked at the other. Kelvnar stared at her in disbelief but spoke no words. Arria smiled at him and his shiver was replaced with confidence.

“Will you kill me?”

“No.”

“Will you kill him?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because he has nobody. His life has little use. You however… there is plenty that you can do to serve me.”

With that she snapped Vaelyn’s neck and tossed him aside. There was little use for a child without a family. She looked deep into the remaining child’s gunmetal eyes. They were full of life and excitement. He was losing control and she was gaining. She felt for the magic within her through the darkness that was her mind. When she first changed she would have to use black powder each time to cease the wild magic. Now she was gaining control and could almost find it each time by herself. She searched the blackness within her mind for the small flame that would alter colors. It was the same flame that she witnessed before the undead lord.

She found the flame and ceased the power letting it flow into her, making her feel of fire. Her body felt as if it was one with the flame. Staring deep within the child’s eyes she released an energy that trickled from her fingertips and into the boy. She felt as he fell under her command and it felt wonderful. It was like having a pet animal that would jump to any command you gave. Yes, the boy was her animal now and he would serve her well.

“Kelvnar… your parents are evil and have been holding you back. You have power within you, I can feel it. You need to return home to your family and while they sleep burn down the home. Be sure to trap them inside so they cannot escape. They must be destroyed and you must return to me. You will know when I send for you.”

“Yes great mistress. I will do as you command.”

“Excellent. Now go.”

The boy turned quickly and disappeared through the forest and towards the town. He hardly had any fear to begin with but now he would never hold that emotion again. There would be only glory and power for him, nothing else. She would make sure he would come to greatness, at her command he would accomplish miraculous things. Yes, he could be a dark lord one day with her guidance. She could sense that his soul was nearly gone to begin with making him easy prey. Now his soul was destroyed and replaced with hate.

Arria rose to her feet and smiled such a smile that it could have made the fiercest warrior stumble a step. Yes, the world would be hers and nobody would stop her. Not even this so called Searon De’Athaniel of Calthoria. No, he was not as powerful as her. The fool of a man could not even wield magic. She needed to study and grow in her power, because even though he could not wield magic he was powerful with his claymore. What she needed was a distraction for him. So far nothing had distracted the man from his goal, but she would be sure to change that.