Chapter Eight: Smile

Start from the beginning

It’s his choice anyways.

These two started to look like our bodyguards, they were practically with us everywhere we go. They walked us to class, they strolled down the school halls with us, and they were practically our shadow. Even though, anywhere we go, we couldn’t miss the shock the students displayed.

I wonder how long it would take until people would finally stop gaping.

The bright side, the compromising feel during English class was no longer present. Since Ms. Hughes allotted the class for practice, it was basically a free period.

Jasper propped up his feet on top of his desk as he scanned the script that I made. He made noises of approval as he flipped each page, but when he reached the end, he looked at me, “Where’s the kiss Romeo and Juliet always have?”

“In the real piece that Shakespeare wrote, there was no kiss. It only appeared in some adaptations,” I informed him, highlighting my lines.

Why is he even mentioning that when it had no importance?

I didn’t have work today and Jasper said that he could excuse himself from basketball training, placing an opportunity for the both of us to practice.

It was going to be a breeze, taking an hour at the most.

We decided to rehearse inside my house. When I got inside, I hollered out if anybody was home. When no reply came, I assumed that both of my parents were gone. I lead Jasper to the living room as if he’s visiting for the first time.

He has been here multiple times, as much as I visited his home. We considered each other’s houses as our second home when we were younger. Our parents were close friends so they welcomed the other couple’s child with open arms.

I made sure the script was short and simple, the faster we got off the front of that classroom, the better.

He recited his line swiftly, as if those words were natural to him. His eyes were trained on the paper, mouthing the words as he tried to memorize the phrases.

When it was my turn, I took a deep breath and read the lines printed on the paper, “Romeo, Romeo, Wherefore art thou Romeo?”

I admit, my acting was stiff. I could hear Jasper trying to hold off his laughter and I kept my eyes on the paper, refusing to look up at him. This is embarrassing enough.

“Deny thy father and refuse thy name or, if thou wilt not be, but sworn my love, and I’ll no longer be a Capulet,” I continued, trying to soften up my words. I sounded like I was a zombie, my tone completely monotone.

“Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?” he recited, as if he was really listening to his lover, contemplating if he should listen more or interrupt her little monologue.

How can I make this as natural as he can?

He spoke the last line and that was when we finally looked at each other. Even if he was pouring some emotions into his speech, I knew for sure that he was smiling amusedly at me the whole time were rehearsing.

“That was great,” he clapped mockingly, “But next time, talk like a human more than a robot.”

I grabbed the throw pillow from the couch and chucked it to his direction. He caught it swiftly, using the years of basketball to help with his agility.

“Nice try,” he chuckled, throwing it right at me, hitting me square on the face. I glared him, dropping the pillow back on the couch.

“Let’s do this one more time,” I huffed.