two

A B S T I N E N C E
T W O

     MAY brought a lot of things to the state of New Jersey. It brought pink leaves decorating side walks from the blooming cherry blossom trees, alive, lush greenery at every corner of suburb life, and, most importantly, Cameron's graduation. She was twenty-two years old walking off that stage with every intention to create the most memorable designs for any company who would hire her.

Her family and Mabel, couldn't be any prouder than they were in the moment.

Naturally, being next door neighbors to each other while growing up, it wasn't a surprise that Mabel formed a friendship with all the Dolan kids. Cameron was an older female to which Mabel could turn to for guidance or simply have a sleepover designated to anything they planned. Ethan and Grayson were the two insane twin brothers next door that invited Mabel into their shenanigans whenever Cameron wasn't around to entertain her. Together they made home videos, swam in the river behind their house instead of the pool, and once even made a mud slide simply from soaking the ground. Mabel was the King of all trades and the Dolans adored her for it, but not more than she adored them.

This being the many reasons they're all still friends now and Mabel's invited to all family events. Birthday parties, holidays, and special occasions, Mabel was at all supporting the Dolan's just as they were at hers supporting them. Being an only child wasn't so bad for Mabel when she had such great neighbors that were more than willing to have a fourth.

"Mabel, honey, will you cut the fruits and put them in this bowl for me?" Frantically running around like a mad women to produce the best graduation party for her only daughter, Lisa Dolan doesn't give Mabel much of an option on whether or not she would cut the fruit. She accepted the task anyway, more than willing to do anything for the woman who practically raised her as her own.

     Mabel cut fruit in kitchen, struggling to not taint her white dress with any of the fruit juices. Grayson and Ethan were carrying cases of pop to the backyard, grunting each time they realized their was more than what they thought. While Cam happily decorated her cake the way she wanted to, then moving to assist her mom in the making of snacks.

     Mabel attempted to not stare at Gray as he walked by, though disgruntled and straining to carry in three cases. It wasn't a secret that Mabel thought he was attractive, for even as a child she had an undeniable crush on Grayson that stuck out like a sore thumb. Now, Gray was no longer a child with the baby fat on his cheeks, stick skinny arms and legs, or the buzz cut his dad forced him to get. He worked out daily, earning him the California model physique that could make anyone drool. His hair trimmed short on the sides yet long in front, pushed off his forehead and even a signature feather earring that, if it were anyone else would have Mabel gagging, but Grayson pulled it off. His eyes were the color of the whiskey his dad drinks and his smile straight off a dentist magazine.

     Though she withheld her temptation, knowing all well that this was the devils way of creeping up to control her.

     Grayson, however, was never shy in his temptation. Every time he sauntered past he'd steal a piece of fruit just to earn the older girl's attention, even if it was a glare. Grayson often regrets not making a move on Mabel earlier in life, for her braces and peace sign shirts wouldn't last forever. He thought she was beautiful and intelligent, everything a man desires to hold in his palm. However, Mabel's not the same girl who would kiss him behind the tree in the backyard, and he was no longer good enough for her.

     At two o'clock the party commended and Mabel wouldn't mind being in the same scenario for a thousand years. She adored being around family and friends, from the love and support being passed to the unbelievable connection of jokes and easy conversation flowing between everyone. She played corn hole with Cameron, Breanne, and Ethan, having the complete time of her life even though she couldn't play corn hole to save her life.

     She even managed to converse with their widowed grandmother who talked Mabel's ear off, but not annoying the girl in the slightest bit. The older women even managed to joke about Mabel's obvious crush on Grayson and whether or not it was still there, to which Mabel denied politely.

     Mabel couldn't believe that she could be so lucky to be apart of such an amazing concept. That is aside from the small touches Grayson would make to her back or knee whenever he was close to her, and every time she looked at him, he was always looking right back at her with that devious smirk she knew all to well.

     THE following day, Cam decided she wanted to make a day trip to New York City to shop. She invited Mabel who was more than ecstatic to travel to the city, and even managed to pass the invite to her brothers after Lisa's orders.

     Three Dolan's and Mabel Fall all drove to the glamorized city and made their day. Cameron and Mabel went into almost every shop, trying on elaborate outfits that took five minutes to put on and five minutes to take off. The twins almost immediately regretted agreeing to chaperone the two girls around the Big Apple, but they concluded that it couldn't be too bad knowing that they're keeping them safe and they'd be getting pineapple pizza as a reward. Though, Grayson didn't mind the trip one bit, for he would sit and watch Mabel model clothes for him for the rest of his life if she'd let him.

     Mabel and Cameron made the boys try on new clothes too, for they're running out of a supply of appropriate clothes from how many times they've taken a pair of scissors to their sleeves or jeans. And just like Grayson, Mabel would be a liar if she said she didn't enjoy witnessing Gray in a formal outfit than his typical jeans and plain tee.

     With Ethan forced to carry Cam's ten bags and Grayson willingly holding Mabel's, their trip back home is almost as fun as the trip itself. Each person had their own song to sing, each terribly yet sharing it's own nostalgia. They filled the car with throwbacks from their teenage years, screaming until they no longer could and not giving a damn about the world around them. Their was something really special about the four of them together, but neither could pin point what exactly it was.

     Yet looking over at Mabel, Grayson knew exactly what it was.