Chapter Eleven

I was escorted back to the footpath by Daley and Fenrir. Landon had ended the meeting by storming off, and it was agreed that on the full moon- only two nights from now- we would launch our attack. Before that time, I was to find Abe and talk to him, and the animals were to prepare to fight, training as much as they could. Fenrir had learned the ways of four-legged combat and was sure of himself, with plans to teach Daley and his vixen, Cherry, as well as Leaf and their pups, Smoky and Storm.

We reached the footpath to see the very people I had to talk to, conveniently enough- Abe and Noah were strolling down the path. I said a quick goodbye to Daley and Fenrir, sending the two back into the woods. Hutch visibly relaxed once they were out of sight and I stepped onto the path from out of the forest, heading out into the open. At the sight of me, Noah gave a shout and started running, followed quickly by Abe. They reached me in little time and Noah pulled me into a quick hug and then stepped back.

“We thought you’d been killed!” Noah exclaimed and I shook my head.

“No, but I likely will be if I don’t receive assistance from Abe.”

Abe looked up at this and Noah stilled, his eyes widening and looking everywhere for an excuse. Abe cleared his throat. “What can I do for you?”

“I know you can see hollows,” I stated, and Abe’s eyes widened, and then he sighed.

“You were in the loop, weren’t you? You’re peculiar.”

I nodded. “Precisely; I can speak to animals. I’ve gotten their assistance to deal with the wight and the hollow, but I need your guidance to see the hollow.” I also need a backstory to tell Aunt Imogene.

Noah looked between us, surprised. “Iris, how did you find out about him?”

“Emma mentioned him.”

Abe grew still now, his jaw clenched, and Noah spoke again. “Then I guess I should show you.”

With that, he lifted a hand and a small purple flame-like bit of matter appeared, magenta in the center. “It’s psych- as I call it. It’s completely weightless, and can burn or freeze or do anything, really. It’s all based on my emotion. Right now, I’m apprehensive- so it’s not at its most potent, just a little ball of force. If it were to hit you, it would feel like a punch. Psych is incredibly effective against hollowgast- Abe tells me where to shoot it and I send it that way, killing the hollow almost upon impact. Fear and anger strengthen it.”

“He can shape it into weapons, too- bow and arrow, shotgun, sword, you name it, he can make it,” Abe added.

I smirked. “Sounds like a bad cop weapon company- ‘you name it, he can make it.’ That could be the motto.”

Abe wasn’t amused. So he turned back to the original topic: “Anyway. You said you needed me for something?”

I nodded. “Right, back to the point- my cat, Hutch, can walk in dreams and has a way he can find out who the wight is, so he can find the wight for us for certain. I have a bear, several wolves, a fox, raccoons, and many other forest-dwelling animals on our side to fight off the hollowgast, but you’re the only one who can see it. So I need your assistance for that.”

“That’s not all you need my assistance for- I happen to be a bit of an expert at hollow-slaying.”

Noah elbowed Abe. “No need to get cocky; don’t jinx us.”

But Abe waved him off. “You’ll need my help to kill it. The animals may be strong, but my gift is more than just seeing them, and you’ll just have to accept that. I’ll gladly accept your help in pointing me toward it, but leave the actual killing to me, ma’am.”