Chapter One

The island drifted into view through a veil of fog. The boat rumbled to the dock and settled as a tiny town appeared, adorned with horses, pubs, and cottages too musty to be quaint. My eyes followed the foot trails that lead into the mountain's cliffs and forested regions, and my feet itched to be exploring. The sailor that had given me the ride over to Cairnholm turned at the wheel and smiled at me. "Welcome to Cairnholm, Miss Thorne."

          "Thank you," I replied politely, stepping off the boat with my suitcase in hand. The salty ocean breeze rose chill-bumps on my arms, and I second-guessed my decision to wear a short-sleeved button-down and a skirt. It didn't seem very practical now, at this tiny island so close to the ocean. But it would have to do for now. I stepped past gatherings of workers, lugging carts back and forth or taking a minute to sit. At the end of the dock, a pub sat perpendicular to the ocean, allowing an easy view of its sign: The Meddled Minstrel. This is the place, I thought, and stepped inside.

          A collection of people- mostly men and wenches- were within the pub, having a beer or a warm meal, taking a break from work for supper. I scanned them all- none seemed like the proper woman that sent me a letter. My Aunt Imogene had requested my presence for only a short week before my arranged marriage took place, whisking me away to Ireland. I barely knew my aunt- she had moved to this distant island fifteen years ago, when I was only a tiny baby.

          "Lost?"

          The voice was polite, and I looked over to see the bartender looking at me. I shook my head, pulling my letter out of my skirt pocket. "This is the place, I just don't see the woman I'm supposed to meet up with."

          He frowned slightly and looked around the bar. "Who is she? I know everyone on the island."

          He seemed proud of this and I took a seat at the barstool closest to me. "Imogene Hazel. Do you know her?"

          "Yes," he said with a triumphant smile. "Tall woman, narrow frame, always wearing a white hat- a bit like a dandelion. Why, she was in town not ten minutes ago, walked by with a bag of vegetables. She should be in here any minute now. Would you like a drink to pass the time?"

          I shook my head. "No, thank you- alcohol isn't exactly my favorite type of beverage."

          He shrugged. "Suit yourself; if you need anything, I'll not be far off."

          He returned to bar-tending and I heard a soft mew from my bag. I nudged it and whispered, "Keep it down, Hutch." A faint hiss sounded in response and I sighed. Just then, the door swung open to the tink of a bell and a gust of freezing ocean wind sweeping over the bar. I looked up to see her- tall, narrow, a gray dress and white hat, just like a dandelion, as the bartender had said. Her eyes scanned the bar and stopped on me. I smiled politely and she crossed the pub to me.

          "Well, hello, Iris. Welcome to Cairnholm." She pulled me into a quick hug, and as she pulled away she took me by the forearm and led me out of the pub. "Come with me- we'll get you into something warmer. Why, you're shivering!" Once outside, Aunt Imogene immediately hopped onto a carriage that was waiting, taking me with her. I sat down, breathless, and dropped my bag into the floorboard. To the driver, Aunt Imogene said quickly, "To my house." She turned to me and I took in her features- small gray eyes, broad cheeks, thin lips, crows-feet bordering her eyes. "Now then, Iris, you're lovely. But why is your hair only to your shoulders?"

          I curled a finger in my hair self-consciously. "I had some of it spilled in honey... Well, technically, it was poured in my hair, but either way that's in the past. I'm just waiting for it to grow back out again."