Chapter 22: For Now, For Always

Start from the beginning

"Your welcome, now let's hurry up we have less than an hour."

"Already done." Lyla spun around in her chair to stare at her reflection. I had put on some light pink blush to bring out her cheekbones, white sparkly eyeshadow and mascara that made her blue eyes pop, pink lipstick that made her lips look naturally that color, and a teensy bit of foundation. For her hair I had twisted it in a bun and used some of my seashell clips to hold it in place and put her veil in.

"Scarlett, you are a genius in beauty. I look amazing!" she said giving me a hug.

"Your welcome and thank you. Now let's go, we have a wedding to go to.

(Declan's POV)

"You know, I never thought I'd be the guy-who-tried-to-have-me-killed's best man," I said handing Dane his tuxedo jacket.

"Yeah, me neither."

"You're funny. Hilarious actually."

"Just shut up," he said fixing his collar.

"Is the King feeling a bit nervous?" I said teasing him.

"No!" he snapped.

"Aha! Denial proves my point. Wow I am going to remember this day forever."

"I will pay you to forget it."

"Nice try."

"Darn. Could you at least help me with this thing?" he said struggling with his bow tie.

"Oh, uh uh man. The mother does that. Well, the best man does too sometime's but this is a different scenario!" I realized his mom wouldn't know how to tie one either so I'd end up doing it anyway. "Fine, I'll do it. But you owe me!"

"Alright, I'll owe you." I went over to him and fixed his bow tie.

"This is beyond weird," I mumbled. "There, you're done. Now let's go."

(Scarlett's POV)

Phew, I did it. I walked down the stinking aisle without killing myself. Today shall be noted as a great accomplishment in history! I took my seat next to Declan and began breathing normally again.

"Good job, you didn't trip," he pointed out.

"Shut up or I will kick you with them. I've heard it hurts very badly."

"No you won't. You know you love me."

"I can turn that comment into a very interesting conversation," I threatened.

"You're too cute. I love you," he said giving me a kiss on the cheek. I wiped it off like an angry little kid.

"Such a child."

"Fishbrain."

"Ouch, now you've really gone too far," he said with mock sadness. I stuck my tongue out at him and turned my head to see Lyla walk down the aisle and Dane's smile get bigger and bigger. Soon the ceremony started.

"Dearly beloved," the preacher (who was one of us) began. Apparently Humans and mers have the same wedding speech and stuff. "We are gathered here today, on this happy and joyous occasion, to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony. Marriage is a solemn institution to be held in honor by all, it is the cornerstone of the family and of the community. It requires of those who undertake it a complete and unreserved giving of one's self. It is not to be entered into lightly, as marriage is a sincere and mutual commitment to love one another. This commitment symbolizes the intimate sharing of two lives and still enhances the individuality of each of you. Dane, do you take this woman to be your wedded wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health, remaining faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"